Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

What problems should I look out for with a GTO?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What problems should I look out for with a GTO?

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the GTO world. In fact, I will be going to look at an '04 Impulse Blue car this weekend. It has 36,000 miles on it.

I wanted to ask if there were any basic guidelines to follow when buying a GTO? Meaning, what specific quirks should I keep an eye out for with these cars? I already know about the seat splitting issue and have read some threads about the rear floor flooding because of blocked drain holes. Any other major flaws with these cars?

I am looking to make the car a daily driver. I am mechanically competent, so most repairs are not outside of my abilities. Is this a reliable and well-built enough car for daily use?

Any information or advice is appreciated. Thanks for the help!
(Sorry if this is a repeat post - I checked the threads and didn't see one related)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Front radius rod bushings and strut top bushings will almost certainly need to be replaced.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fuel line near the fuel rail cover. Many (including myself) experienced the cover rubbing into the fuel line, and have replaced with a stainless steel piece.

Also check the BCM wire harness behind the glove box.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
Front radius rod bushings and strut top bushings will almost certainly need to be replaced.
Ok. I looked into those - the radius rod bushings seem like a very straight forward install. Found ones made by Lovell. With the strut bushing, can that be replaced without changing out the strut? Or would it make more sense to do struts and bushings all at once?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Good info here, I'm looking into getting a cheap gto for a daily driver beater, the ones I e been looking at are around 100k miles, do you guys suggest I look into another ls car for my intentions? Or is there anything extra I should look for or know about the ls2 with that high mileage? Thanks in advance

I've never looked into a vehicle with more then 35k miles so this is new to me being a high mileage car
Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Our whole steering rack has to be replaced if our inner tie rod ends go bad. Buut there is a site that has our tie rods in stock for 119$ and you have to tap the hole to a different size, deff a lot cheaper than buying a rem fac steering rack.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What problems should I look out for with a GTO?