Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Road racing a/c system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road racing a/c system?

I have a porsche 944 that is going get get a ls1 383 stroker. I was curious as to what my options were for a lightweight, compact, a/c system? I just need it to keep the car in a tolerable heat, it doesn't need to freeze my sweat like most systems. Arctic Racing Air is the only option that seemed to appear on google but that's a fortune and I was looking for something much much cheaper. Could I just run a smaller control unit?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bp944
I have a porsche 944 that is going get get a ls1 383 stroker. I was curious as to what my options were for a lightweight, compact, a/c system? I just need it to keep the car in a tolerable heat, it doesn't need to freeze my sweat like most systems. Arctic Racing Air is the only option that seemed to appear on google but that's a fortune and I was looking for something much much cheaper. Could I just run a smaller control unit?
Buy a cool shirt setup.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to agree with the Cool Shirt setup...

I know the Pratt & Miller guys are running an A/C in the Corvettes. The compressor runs off the diff and takes less than 1hp to run but its gotta cost $$$ to replicate. Heres a vid: http://www.grid1.tv/videos/lemans/latest/corvette-ac
Old 01-11-2013, 06:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Junior-1
Got to agree with the Cool Shirt setup...

I know the Pratt & Miller guys are running an A/C in the Corvettes. The compressor runs off the diff and takes less than 1hp to run but its gotta cost $$$ to replicate. Heres a vid: http://www.grid1.tv/videos/lemans/latest/corvette-ac
That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Launching!

That is a really cool setup. I kinda doubt I could get a setup like that going. I could just run a shaddy belt right to the torque tube.....it could almost...not really work. :p
Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Could you actually set it up a air conditioner off of the alternator rather than being belt driven? My car won't be using nearly all of the alternators energy as it is. It would also bring down weight since you can mount the compressor right in the cabin which would rid you of a lot of tubing and such. It would also stop some of the leaching from being right on the accessory belt. You could also turn it off when your actually racing. They talk about using a prius setup or this compressor.

http://www.electricbluemotors.com/coolblue.html

Last edited by bp944; 01-12-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Road racing a/c system?