Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

zr1 vs nissant gtr

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zr1 vs nissant gtr

these two cars are from a local forum down here called southern knights where I'm a member , just watched the video , kind of scary .

Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome video. Zr1 needs a major tire upgrade! Both cars run extremely well.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Teching In

I wouldn't want to be behind the wheels of that ZR1 without some better tires.... scary.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Awesome video. Zr1 needs a awd upgrade! Both cars run extremely well.
Fixed it for ya.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Looks like mad fun in the ZR1!!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

GTR driver forgot what it was when you have to actually DRIVE the car, not sit in it and let it drive itself.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by odthetruth
GTR driver forgot what it was when you have to actually DRIVE the car, not sit in it and let it drive itself.
Glad someone paid attention to the video
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Wrong. I agree that GTR's are idiot proof and therefore seem to have alot of idiots driving them, but the guy in this video was no rookie and did a VERY commendable job keeping it under control. Until you have been in that kind of situation you cannot understand what it takes to proactively countersteer and keep control. It's easy to control it when you are on regular street tires where you can countersteer normally, but when you get loose in a car that has great traction the countersteering is 100 times more violent: tires will grab when you are still sideways and you will find yourself pointing at a wall with a stunned look on your face. Watch his hands and see how he is countersteering so early that you think he's doing it wrong. That's what you have to do because those tires grip so quick, wayyy before you are straight. That driver has been in that position before and knew what it took: see how when he did his first big countersteer, his hands were fidgeting wanting to bring the wheel back the other direction even though the inputs he had done hadn't even kicked in yet? Veteran move because he knew the return was going to be violent and with all that steering input he was only gonna have a split second to get that wheel back past center into the next countersteer.

That GTR driver is a great driver. Period. 90% of the guys in the section would have wrecked that ZR1. Period.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Something isnt right here, GTR isnt beating a ZR1 from a roll like that, shoulda been other way around
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mookie
Something isnt right here, GTR isnt beating a ZR1 from a roll like that, shoulda been other way around
Agreed. GTR I'd guess needs another 100whp at least to do that. Think either someone used his old numbers or he is sandbagging.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Wrong. I agree that GTR's are idiot proof and therefore seem to have alot of idiots driving them, but the guy in this video was no rookie and did a VERY commendable job keeping it under control. Until you have been in that kind of situation you cannot understand what it takes to proactively countersteer and keep control. It's easy to control it when you are on regular street tires where you can countersteer normally, but when you get loose in a car that has great traction the countersteering is 100 times more violent: tires will grab when you are still sideways and you will find yourself pointing at a wall with a stunned look on your face. Watch his hands and see how he is countersteering so early that you think he's doing it wrong. That's what you have to do because those tires grip so quick, wayyy before you are straight. That driver has been in that position before and knew what it took: see how when he did his first big countersteer, his hands were fidgeting wanting to bring the wheel back the other direction even though the inputs he had done hadn't even kicked in yet? Veteran move because he knew the return was going to be violent and with all that steering input he was only gonna have a split second to get that wheel back past center into the next countersteer.

That GTR driver is a great driver. Period. 90% of the guys in the section would have wrecked that ZR1. Period.
agreed, except i think it was his experience having to correct his GTR at some point, probably from a four wheel burnout, that made him react preemptively.

if anyone on here has ever driven an AWD vehicle as i have (vortech, stroked and n2o SRT8 Jeeps and TBSS's) that are capable of spinning all four and making a ridiculous scene from a stop, then you have a leg up on anyone who hasn't when **** hits the fan in that situation lol
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
agreed, except i think it was his experience having to correct his GTR at some point, probably from a four wheel burnout, that made him react preemptively.

if anyone on here has ever driven an AWD vehicle as i have (vortech, stroked and n2o SRT8 Jeeps and TBSS's) that are capable of spinning all four and making a ridiculous scene from a stop, then you have a leg up on anyone who hasn't when **** hits the fan in that situation lol
Does 4wd trucks and SUV's in the snow and mud count? Other then that, I've spent more time sideways than most 42 yr olds have spent WOT in there lives. Mostly when I was in my 20's and cops were more lenient... "back in the day" when I would go through a set of tires almost every month in my camaro. $$$
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Does 4wd trucks and SUV's in the snow and mud count? Other then that, I've spent more time sideways than most 42 yr olds have spent WOT in there lives. Mostly when I was in my 20's and cops were more lenient... "back in the day" when I would go through a set of tires almost every month in my camaro. $$$

no. it doesn't and i like you, have done the same (we're same age also). i was about 37 first time i experienced an SRT8 making 600/600awhp/tq and it taught me a lesson, thank god there were no curbs..

forgot the whole grip traction thing after you initially lose it lol.. not even the same when it's wet in an awd.. dry losing traction in an awd is a freaky feeling... sorta like bouncing off invisible guard rails the whole time. if you do it right you're not upside down and if you didn't?? well.....you get the picture lol.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

ZR1 did great to recover. I have went sideways at the track and its scary. And that's at LITTLE RIVER in Temple TX where track isn't nearly as wide as this one. Its scary. And you have to know what doing to control it. First time I launched car got sideways and let out and got it straight but ended up in left lane. Luckily I was running by self. Next time hit oil after 1/8th mile and it kicked hard. Gained countol and ended up in right lane. Very next car a buddies 700whp 5th Gen did samething. Track then finally reclean oil spot. What sucked is it would been great run for me. 1.45 60ft 6.54@105 1/8th
Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Thank you, very well said..

Just a little a background on me. I've had 3 zo6's and many fast mustangs and have had may share of going sideways through out the years. I wouldn't of taken the chance of racing my friends car, if I didn't have a little confidence in my self.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 PM

THis^^^^
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Not a shot at all on his countersteering. I fully agree on that. I've had a situation on the highway no less where I've had to countersteer and recover a slide at 140+mph. But you know whose to blame on that? Me. Not the tires, not the car. The driver. I recovered that with no issues, no crashes, no damage to suspension, no damage to anyone, nothing. Does that make me a great driver? The fact I put myself in that situation is where I fucked up at. That still makes it my fault. In this video, that slide is no ones fault but the driver. This was a driver mistake, he did correct it, but it was the driver's mistake. If it was bad tires, why'd he swap cars? Because of my experience having corrected massive oversteer at 140mph, does that make me a better driver then 90% of this section?

Everyone has their moments. I bet this was an *** puckering moment, and pdv25 can chime in on whether he feels it was his fault, or the cars. Definitely good job on the correction, but I bet he either wasn't expecting it to get the way it did, forgot the characteristics of it, or generally pushed a bit too much where he felt he should have eased it in hindsight.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Well to be honest I have no clue if it was my fault or the tires. It did catch me by surprise. I'm just real happy I didn't wreck my friends car. I just power shifted 3rd and that's how the car reacted.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pdv25
Well to be honest I have no clue if it was my fault or the tires. It did catch me by surprise. I'm just real happy I didn't wreck my friends car. I just power shifted 3rd and that's how the car reacted.
You recovered very well, as stated before. I watched it like 7 times in a row and was like holy crap so lucky! I imagine it was quite scary!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

it is def hair raising the first time it happens..then when you're expecting it its fun..but u better know what you're doing and have a good feel for the car..when in doubt..make sure u have good tires and suspension setup

Quick Reply: zr1 vs nissant gtr