Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Strange noise coming from engine area

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise coming from engine area

I have a 2000 ws6 and the other day it started making a strange humming kinda grinding sound coming from what sounds like the intake. The car is stock except for a slp MAF sensor that the previous owner installed. The sound only occurs once the car has warmed up and its at idle. If engine is revved up it goes away. Can anyone help me with this
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

shoot a quick video please
Old 01-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Teching In

I posted on ur other thread but cant seem to find it anymore...anyhow.. im having the same prob as u are...its the waterpump going out bro...mines leaking from the little hole under the pump n its making that grinding..hollow..whirring sound...sounds like a baby seal ..our pump gonna go pretty soon...that sound is coming from the pump..time for cam upgrade since ur gonna tear into it..hope this helps
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by grannyshift
I posted on ur other thread but cant seem to find it anymore...anyhow.. im having the same prob as u are...its the waterpump going out bro...mines leaking from the little hole under the pump n its making that grinding..hollow..whirring sound...sounds like a baby seal ..our pump gonna go pretty soon...that sound is coming from the pump..time for cam upgrade since ur gonna tear into it..hope this helps
Just wanna give u an update...i changed my waterpump tonite.....that was the problem...no more noise...idle n drives alot better

Quick Reply: Strange noise coming from engine area