Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS engine to B.O.P. transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS engine to B.O.P. transmission ?

Was curious if the B.O.P. bellhousing pattern bolts up to the LS engines ?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Launching!

ok did some more searching and it looks like it wont unless i use an adapter plate, anyone ever used one of these on a ls engine or any other engine ? just trying not to buy another trans at this time and use what i have
Old 01-10-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

I see no reason why it can't be done. See what's required to do a BOP to SBC (since SBC to LS is documented), then use that to determine what you need.

I think the LS4 has the BOP pattern for the FWD transmissions.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston_t
Was curious if the B.O.P. bellhousing pattern bolts up to the LS engines ?
What trans? I'm using a dual-pattern 200R4 and it bolts right up except for some minor clearance relief grinding for the engine's rear cover.

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
I see no reason why it can't be done. See what's required to do a BOP to SBC (since SBC to LS is documented), then use that to determine what you need.

I think the LS4 has the BOP pattern for the FWD transmissions.
There are adapters for the Gen I SBC to BOP that should work. The LS4 has the 60° bell pattern and will not work unless you find a trans from a 60° engine, and they are all light-duty.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The cost of the adapter is a good chuck of the cost of 4L60E or 4L80E.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You mean one of these from Jegs or Summit? For $50 to $55, it seems like a reasonable budget solution.

On second look, Speedway Motors has them for $40.

Last edited by gofastwclass; 01-11-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Try J.W Bellhousings. I used one of theirs and its awesome top quality machine work and very happy with my purchase. http://www.jegs.com/p/J-W-Performanc...48597/10002/-1
Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better off putting a ultra bell on it that will allow it to bolt right on and also is safer and stronger than a stock bell.

Tim
Old 12-23-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Anybody try one of these adapter plates? Will it work on an LS? Reason I ask is b/c one of the above plates has welded nuts on the back of the plate - will that hit the LS block?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a bop th400 behind an aluminum 5.3 I used the jegs adapt-0-plate and if you do it right you end up with more bolts through the transmission than with a Chevy trans. The only issues I had was I had to grind a drilled and tapped boss cast into the rear of the block inside the trans pattern to allow room for the weld nut for one of the top two BOP bellhousing bolts

$40 doesn't get you anywhere towards the cost of a computer controlled OD trans for a carbed LS
Old 12-23-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by krochus
I'm running a bop th400 behind an aluminum 5.3 I used the jegs adapt-0-plate and if you do it right you end up with more bolts through the transmission than with a Chevy trans. The only issues I had was I had to grind a drilled and tapped boss cast into the rear of the block inside the trans pattern to allow room for the weld nut for one of the top two BOP bellhousing bolts

$40 doesn't get you anywhere towards the cost of a computer controlled OD trans for a carbed LS
thanks krochus!

Are you happy with the way the plate worked out - like does the trans feel attached solidly?

When you say "do it right..." - you mean following the instructions right
Old 12-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
thanks krochus! Are you happy with the way the plate worked out - like does the trans feel attached solidly? When you say "do it right..." - you mean following the instructions right
It seems pretty solid. I'm still a few days away from first startup.

Actually "do it right" or just right as I should have said involves welding an extension on the very top of of the adapter plate so you can use the topmost trans bolt hole in the block that is unused on a sbc trans.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by krochus
It seems pretty solid. I'm still a few days away from first startup.

Actually "do it right" or just right as I should have said involves welding an extension on the very top of of the adapter plate so you can use the topmost trans bolt hole in the block that is unused on a sbc trans.
Thanks krochus!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do any of you guys familiar with the BOP engines know if the bolt pattern on the crank shaft is the same as the SBC? Did the BOP engines change to the one piece rear seal in '86 like the SBC did with the change in the crank bolts too? I make adapters to use Chevy and Ford V8 engines with various Audi and Porsche transmissions and have a customer who wants to use a BOP engine and I am wondering if I can use the dimensions I have for the SBC to make the flywheel for this conversion. I have the information about the difference in the bellhousing bolt pattern so that is taken care of. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Go over to classicoldsmobile.com or realoldspower.com. I'm sure you'll find the specs you need there.

Originally Posted by txcarbuilder
Do any of you guys familiar with the BOP engines know if the bolt pattern on the crank shaft is the same as the SBC? Did the BOP engines change to the one piece rear seal in '86 like the SBC did with the change in the crank bolts too? I make adapters to use Chevy and Ford V8 engines with various Audi and Porsche transmissions and have a customer who wants to use a BOP engine and I am wondering if I can use the dimensions I have for the SBC to make the flywheel for this conversion. I have the information about the difference in the bellhousing bolt pattern so that is taken care of. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you, I will try that and see what I can find out.

Quick Reply: LS engine to B.O.P. transmission ?