Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

97 Firebird 3.8L- Code 1441

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Firebird 3.8L- Code 1441

Alright, so would like some more opinions on this before I throw a bunch of money into it.
I have code 1441 showing- emissions purge in non sealed condition, so an evap leak. I tested the old purge solenoid (blow air through both the inlet and outlet to make sure the valve is closed) and no air came through, so I didn't think it was that. To make sure I threw a new one on... No winner. When I was testing that, checked the hoses, the 90 deg. connector to the air intake was dry rotted to where it crumbled in hand when removed. Tracked that down after 3 days of searching, because it's dealer only and discontinued, replaced it. Still not it.
Replaced the bottom house, because it was somewhat dry rotted also, didn't have the exact size so I threw on a fuel line hose of the approx. size. Still not it.
Can this code be the gas cap? I was thinking that, because when I take the cap off there is a hissing for 5 seconds or so and a strong whiff of fumes, but then I remember I had it tested when I went through emissions a while back, code was on then, too, they passed it though, so I don't have a lot of faith in what they can do. If it wasn't purging though, then that excess pressure would be in the gas tank and still would cause hissing... Wouldn't it?
Would a charcoal canister cause that code, or would it be a different one?
I'm thinking either that or the line from the charcoal canister to the vent right before the purge solenoid is clogged.
I don't know what else to replace, without just throwing money that I don't have into this thing, I can't even find a damn canister for sale anywhere I look.
The car has 51k miles if that has any relation on when to replace a canister. I haven't found a set number that it's recommended at.
This car pisses me off... haha
Old 01-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Any one know where I can find a charcoal canister? Can't seem to find one anywhere. Or do you know a rough ballpark estimate for the price?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Can be gas cap or crack in the filler tube. You could always get a pressure test done.

I think the charcoal canister is combined with the evap solenoid.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Can be gas cap or crack in the filler tube. You could always get a pressure test done.

I think the charcoal canister is combined with the evap solenoid.
If it's a build up of pressure by it not purging, then there wouldn't be a leak, right?
Charcoal canister is in driver rear fender well next to the fuel line/ solenoid is passenger side engine bay, so. I'm going to take off the old one tomorrow morning and see if I can blow some air through the tubing with an air compressor. See if it's just clogged before I replace it. Although, if it's clogged then that means there's charcoal in it, which means it's still the canister.
Finally found one at Rockauto.com for $55, which isn't too bad.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Please let me know if you find out the cause the 3.8 in my 96 is throwing the same code.

Quick Reply: 97 Firebird 3.8L- Code 1441