Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

3.8l camaro rs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8l camaro rs

took my camaro to a mechanic that allegedly said he would replace the right side head gasket covers to stop the oil from leaking in . When I got it back he said it did not need the job done since it already had a new set and that water had passed into the engine a while back so I needed my engine new or restored with new parts ect. It ran good when I bought it used so not sure if the issue is that deep or he's lying. But when I got it back the car has this issue upon start up where the engine begins to shake on idol. And accelerating feels diffrent. Almost like half the engine isnt working and acceleration sounds muddy. Not sure if its the ignition, or the cylinders. Need an opinion if not to look into a new or different engine.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The v6's are famous for intake leaks. The dexcool coolant eats the nylon intake gaskets and when the dexcool mixes with the oil it eats the bearings. I would take the car to another mechanic you can trust and have him check it out.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That sux you're having problems with your V6. I have one and it's smooth as hell. Maybe you should consider going with an LS family engine if the expense becomes too high....just a thought
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Z28
The v6's are famous for intake leaks. The dexcool coolant eats the nylon intake gaskets and when the dexcool mixes with the oil it eats the bearings. I would take the car to another mechanic you can trust and have him check it out.
What he said. The stock LIM gaskets are plastic and crack. Get a set of aluminum Felpros in there.

Any other symptoms? If only at start up that would tell me the car is still in closed loop and O2 sensors are not giving feed back yet. Which means the engine is getting it's AFR/ and Spark timing from the PROM, ECT, MAP.

Sure it's not misfiring? They are well know for having problems with the coil packs and especially the ICM's

Also, if it doesn't just happen at idle. A leaking (partially stuck open) EGR valve could cause idling problems, and lack of power under acceleration. Excessive carbon build ip could have the pintle stuck.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry to jack your thread but I'm having the same issue I had a question is it a two piece intake or one piece? Also did you resolve your issues?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Two piece intake. It'll be a sandwiched gasket between the UIM and LIM, then a pair of gaskets that mate the LIM to the cylinder heads.

I recommend getting the metal lower intake manifold gaskets from Fel-pro, here's the Part # MS 98014 T

Here's how it looks:

Intake still installed:

Upper intake manifold removed with UIM gasket visible:

Upper intake manifold removed, LIM Gaskets visible (Note they are metal, the stock ones are brittle plastic, even moreso if you still use dex-cool):
Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warshrike you just wanted to show off your engine
Old 02-25-2020, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Two piece intake. It'll be a sandwiched gasket between the UIM and LIM, then a pair of gaskets that mate the LIM to the cylinder heads.

I recommend getting the metal lower intake manifold gaskets from Fel-pro, here's the Part # MS 98014 T

Here's how it looks:

Intake still installed:

Upper intake manifold removed with UIM gasket visible:

Upper intake manifold removed, LIM Gaskets visible (Note they are metal, the stock ones are brittle plastic, even moreso if you still use dex-cool):
Can you reupload these pics?

Quick Reply: 3.8l camaro rs