Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noob Tuner

Hi guys, never used a tuner before and I just bought a 2001 ss camaro 30,000 miles that had mods but was told he didn't tune it. He just went in for new rear gears calibration. I got a Diablo sport and Hypertek tuner with the car. Which one should I use. I'am a little freaked I might screw something up. Plz help !
m6 Slp long tubes,Slp fresh air intake,Slp mass air bigger size than stock. Flow through cats, y pipe, loud mouth pipes,resognater and mosier 12 bolt with 4:10 gears. Thanks
Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

neither. Have it dyno tuned by a KNOWN shop.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The diablo sport gives you more control. If you take it to a dyno have them just check your airfuel ratio. With that handheld you can adjust your timing AND wide open fuel. At your mod level, it shouldn't be that far off, so put in the performance tune that it has, then based on Knock retard from the scan tool, you can add in timing 1 degree at a time until you see KR then back it down 1 or 2 from that point. Same goes for fuel, on your pull if you are at 11.7 airfuel ratio on your pull, go to the wide open throttle fuel % and just pull some fuel until you get to mid 12s. like 12.5-12.6 or so.. Then you are done. To know the percent you need to add or pull is simple. If you run a 11.7 but you wanted 12.5 just do this. 11.7/12.5= in that order, it would show you that you need to PULL about 6.5% fuel. A full example is this. dyno pull showed 13.5 air fuel ratio. We wanted 12.5. so we do the math, 13.5/12.5=1.08 So, from this, we see we where running lean, and need to Add 8 % of fuel to that table. It is pretty simple.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Banned

hahaha.... Just go get a dyno tune by a reputable shop.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
hahaha.... Just go get a dyno tune by a reputable shop.
His Question wasn't asking about dyno tunes, or tunes from others. It was a request for information on what handheld he should use on the ones he ALREADY owns.

His car is near stock. What exactly is going to be off besides fuel and timing.. His handheld has the ability to do what he needs. simple as that...

The performance tune they throw in that handheld would make it already close, then some fine tuning. It even fixes the shift points and adjusts his gear ratio...

A dyno tune is going to cost him a ton more for no reason, when all he has to do is go rent the dyno for 75 bucks for the hour, street tune it with a wideband.. He has the tool that will do it.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wait4me
His Question wasn't asking about dyno tunes, or tunes from others. It was a request for information on what handheld he should use on the ones he ALREADY owns.

His car is near stock. What exactly is going to be off besides fuel and timing.. His handheld has the ability to do what he needs. simple as that...

The performance tune they throw in that handheld would make it already close, then some fine tuning. It even fixes the shift points and adjusts his gear ratio...

A dyno tune is going to cost him a ton more for no reason, when all he has to do is go rent the dyno for 75 bucks for the hour, street tune it with a wideband.. He has the tool that will do it.

So your telling him to add timing until it knocks then back it off... Thats an AWESOME way to tune... What if someone flashed his car before and turned off the knock sensors... will his diablo tell him that? Yeah didnt think so.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Again in the first post it was said it was not tuned...
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Banned

Again in the first post it was said it was not tuned...
So he should trust someone word over just paying an extra 150-200 dollars and getting it done right?

Glad you dont tune my cars.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

So, you are going to tell me that when you dyno tune you don't add timing???? That seems odd... How are you going to know the exact limit on the engine if you don't bring it to the point where it starts to show something.... One car may take more timing than another, and quality of gas in the area will all make changes to the limits...
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Have you ever seen how Gm does Mean best timing tests?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Banned

So, you are going to tell me that when you dyno tune you don't add timing???? That seems odd... How are you going to know the exact limit on the engine if you don't bring it to the point where it starts to show something.... One car may take more timing than another, and quality of gas in the area will all make changes to the limits...

Of course we add timing... but we are also experienced tuners and dont add it with a daiblo and going off of someones word that the knock sensors are turned on. We also know about how much timing a car should take.

You are basically telling this kid to just keep adding... What if he put 35 degrees in it and its still not knocking bc the Sensors are turned off?

Im going to stay out of this thread bc there is no need to argue.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fbjunior
.... I got a Diablo sport and Hypertek tuner with the car. Which one should I use...
Diablo sport.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

Default Tuning

I agree with Frans96ss Sell both the tuners and get it tuned professionally for peace of mind by a reputable shop.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Teching In

If you don't have any experience with tuning I would take it to a shop as well. Handheld tuners are good for there pre programmed tunes but when you start messing with timing and you have never done it before it could turn out bad. Just my .02
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really don't need much man the car doesn't have that much in it. You could send the pcm to frost and do a mail order tune.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Find someone with HPTuners or EFI Live and a wideband to give you a street tune. That way there is no guessing. The AFR is the most important part of the tune and it needs to be verified with a wideband.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Teching In

The diablo sport gives you more control. If you take it to a dyno have them just check your airfuel ratio. With that handheld you can adjust your timing AND wide open fuel. At your mod level, it shouldn't be that far off, so put in the performance tune that it has, then based on Knock retard from the scan tool, you can add in timing 1 degree at a time until you see KR then back it down 1 or 2 from that point.
Holy crap. That's the absolute worst advice I've read.

OP, just take it to a known, reputable shop. A shop that won't just add timing til it knocks and then back it down.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dizzysn
Holy crap. That's the absolute worst advice I've read.

OP, just take it to a known, reputable shop. A shop that won't just add timing til it knocks and then back it down.
Did you even see what I posted.

On the DYNO is where I said this needs to be done. IT is the EXACT thing any other shop would do, you are just misreading it.. When a car physically knocks and When a car shows KR is 2 different things... Im talking about when the car starts to show that it is pulling timing via KR in the scan tool. EVERY SHOP DOES THIS. A STOCK CAR WILL SHOW KR on a lot of cars in some spots.. KR is not going to kill an engine. The computer is pulling timing in that section to prevent a knock event... LOL.

Even if someone turned off knock sensors, "which out of all tuners out there in the world would be 1% if that, "because it is dumb,"" you would still see a knock event on the dyno and it would loose horsepower on the graph. So, obviously, you would go back to the previous settings if you loose horsepower..
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

To add, those handhelds have limits on the amount of things you can adjust for a reason. It isn't like it is going to let him add 5 degrees or anything.. We are talking about a STOCK CAR HERE. Not some 800horsepower nitrous car.....
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Diablo has some pretty good timing tables in the Hi octane tune.
The HyperHype has 3-4* @ WOT the rest stock
SuperChips timing tables are not too bad in the middle and the top
but are sometimes a little much down low for good idle control.

The Predator does a good job on a stock car Hi octane tune will set it @ 26* wot a couple short of a stock 98

Quick Reply: Noob Tuner