Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9 3/4 sterling rearend./car is pushing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9 3/4 sterling rearend./car is pushing!

I have a ford 9 3/4 limited slip rearend in my performance car. Lately it feels like under heavy thottle the car wants to push to the right(checked connection points). Could this have anything to do with the posi unit, like if clutches are bad on one side ? Appreciate any help.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may not be what you are experiencing, but, I have an 03 Cobra and a six speed. My diff was an 8.8 with a detroit locker. I would feel a push to the left under throttle and a pull to the right under decel. Not hard throttle mind you but in town. So shifting thru the first 3 or 4 gears the car would kinda zig-zag and it felt wierd. I pulled the locker out of it and installed a Ford 31 spline traction lock in its place and all the wiggling went away. The guy from Randys ring and pinion said it had to do with the way the locker functioned. It would be less noticeable in an auto car. Hope you find your problem. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your input. Mine is a limited slip with an automatic trans thats used for street & 1/4 mile . I made some 4 link adjustments on the back pryer to feeling this pushing, so the first thing I thought of was I must of misaligned the bars."obvious conclusion". But i've double checked and other than a miner driveline angle change I did not find anything that would explain whats happening. The pushing to the right is felt under hard exceleration on the street and when I launched at the track last week the front tires literally jump to the right about 8 inches. Never did this before! All thoughts welcome.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sure sounds like a axle alignment problem.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Think I may have found the trouble. The right front brake seems to be hanging up. All new components to! I pulled in the drive way the other day after just a few minute test drive to find a little smoke coming from the right front side. I'm on to something...

Quick Reply: 9 3/4 sterling rearend./car is pushing!