Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering bracket option...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering bracket option...

Getting ready to do a budget build, it will have flipped exhaust manifolds.. I want to try to utilize the stock 4.8/5.3/6.0 alternator/ps pump bracket.. however with flipped manifolds the drivers side contacts the powersteering pump. Typically I would just say to hell with it and run a manual rack or no power steering, but i have the pump, the bracket and even lines, so if I can do this cheap, why not.

There is a vendor, lsbrackets that sell just what I wanted to do, move the ps pump up and in about 2 inches and swing the alternator over a bunch (which is nice for ls1/ls6 car intake swap clearance as well).

What if I were to cut the bracket, remove all the material on the inner side and re tig weld it up and in the same dimesions as stated above? Would be a much cheaper option. Has anyone ran into this issue? How did yall fix it?

I have a few spare engines, so maybe Ill bolt it up and see if I can make a prototype. Stay tuned.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Here's the setup in my 72 Chevelle that I custom built. I've done the same set using a truck tensioner if A/C is not required or wanted.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/16242884-post11.html

Can you use a F-body p/s pump? Another set i've done is a bit of a hybrid using F-body and truck parts.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...1-ls2-ls3.html

Good luck with your swap. If you do make a prototype bracket please attach a photo.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I also thought about taking one of these pumps and making a bracket for it. Poor mans Fbody/Vette pump..

Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Super bean, what is the pump in your picture from? Some front wheel drive gm car?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Super bean, what is the pump in your picture from? Some front wheel drive gm car?
The one I posted is from an early 2000's Impala 3.8. The only issue I could see is the return nipple points inward where it should be on the opposite side. However, I dont see this being an issue as it could wrap underneath the pump.

What do you think?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Go for it.

Quick Reply: Power Steering bracket option...