New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought a 98 z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought a 98 z28

Just picked up a 1998 z28 with 65 k miles really clean car ive always wanted a ls1 car and now that i found one i got a few ?'s. First off it has edelbrock headers with a set of twister mufflers it also has a slp lid power programmer annd short shifter . I love the car but the 3 hour ride home gave me a headache it is obnoxiously loud from the inside and has the drone noise really bad . I like the performance idea of headers but if all headers are going to be this loud maybe i should just go to the stock manifolds . Other than that i have really noticed anything about the car that i dont like but if there is anything i should look out for any info is greatly apreciated
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

great find and low mileage! that is funny, most guys want these cars to be louder. These Fbody cars with stock manifolds and pipes had good exhaust tone but were still buzzy in the cab if I can remember - due to Big V8 set back and surrounded by plastic and fiberglass. Hope you get it the way you want it
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

run the exhaust all the way out the back with a flowmaster and a resonater if need be.. that would cut out most drone i had that in my car when i bought it and it wad too quiet i cut it off in favor of deep exhaust drone hahaha
Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Its your Mufflers & short dual exhaust that make your car drone & sound loud. Go with a large diameter 3" MagnaFlow Cat back single exhaust. Use the Texas Speed Y Pipe with Dual Cats & Run a Magnaflow muffler. Run the exhaust pipe all the way out back to the rear of the car. (Up & over the rear axle). My car is set up like this & it has a nice rumble with no drone.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with the others, anything that dumps before the axle will rumble the cabin all day long, mine is loud but all the way out the back, and it rarely gets drone or resonence in the cabin. also well worth the time and money imo, is 'dynomat', personally i cant afford the name, but cheaper alternatives like raamat are wonderful. placed covering the floor pan, and the deck and behind rear seats will help dramaticly, from personal expiriance. i also have a 98 Z, congrats their awsome cars i love mine.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 AM

Thats what i was afraid of i think the main thing that bothers me is it doesnt have that frwat of a tone and its just irratating after being in the car over 30 mins . I listened to youtube clips of some exhaust with headers and the onlything that sounded louder was slp lm1 pipes but they had a better tone
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pattymelt
Thats what i was afraid of i think the main thing that bothers me is it doesnt have that frwat of a tone and its just irratating after being in the car over 30 mins . I listened to youtube clips of some exhaust with headers and the onlything that sounded louder was slp lm1 pipes but they had a better tone
yeah i have the slp loudmouth-2, and love it. gona cost a few bucks either way to improve the sound and remove drone. personal opinion based on expiriance, get your exhaust out the back end, and learn about sound deadening a car, both are time and money well spent. im no exhaust expert, but i can give plenty of how to on the sound deadening if ur interested.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Magnaflow exhaust FTW. Very quiet even with headers until you mash the go pedal
Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wooddaniel
Magnaflow exhaust FTW. Very quiet even with headers until you mash the go pedal
this is true ^

I have 3 ls1 4th gens all have different exhausts so maybe I can help with feedback on these setups

one of my A4 ls1 cars has kooks long tubes ,magnaflow ory , magnaflow catback and it is not loud just nice.3600 stall , 373 , full bolt on car.

another A4 ls1 car has pacesetter long tubes , ory , and gmmg catback - I call it the blattmobile it sounds terrible. 273's stock stall only a lid and smooth bellows other than exhaust mods on this one.

my m6 car is a full bolt on car with qtp long tubes and true duals - dont know muffler brand but it looks like stright pipe , turn downs dump before the rear end , much quieter than the gmmg car , not much different from the magnaflow car so its not just about getting exhaust out the rear - this car MAY have a bunch of dynamat in it though , came with a high end stereo system in it and the previous owners attention to detail was fabulous on every aspect of the car so that may play a big part in the car not being loud in the cabin

so 2 out of 3 header cars are not loud or droney , I would start with changing mufflers or a catback swap to one that is known to be quiter like the magnaflow - headers arent the issue
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Launching!

I got lts,ory, and stock ss exhaust. It is not much louder only at wot then stock. I will be getting a mangnflow. No one wants to be the guy that gets dirty looks all the time or at least I dont.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

I have a magnamouth and I love the sound! You dont hear it to often in person.

Quick Reply: just bought a 98 z28