General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

storage in extreme cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default storage in extreme cold

I have some questions about storing my camaro in cold weather, im talking negative 18f. Now I have the car in a garage but its not much warmer than outside, like 5f more. Im main concern is I checked the anti freeze, freeze temp and it read negative 5f. I can't flush the system because I don't want to run it. Can I put a heater under the engine to warm it above negative 5. I want to be sure the coolant doesn't freeze and crack the block, I had that happen before. Thanks for the help. And if you can think of anything else I should do.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Do you know what the spec is on the anti-freeze currently in the car? GM tests these in extreme cold on the UP of Michigan, so it should be fine if it has real anti-freeze in it.

You should also be able to get an engine block heater. That's probably the best way to do it.

I'd be careful with shade tree heating solutions and focus on warming up the space the car is in vs. putting something under the engine. That could lead to an oil fire. If you had something where you could run a duct under the car, that might be better.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickb123
I have some questions about storing my camaro in cold weather, im talking negative 18f. Now I have the car in a garage but its not much warmer than outside, like 5f more. Im main concern is I checked the anti freeze, freeze temp and it read negative 5f. I can't flush the system because I don't want to run it. Can I put a heater under the engine to warm it above negative 5. I want to be sure the coolant doesn't freeze and crack the block, I had that happen before. Thanks for the help. And if you can think of anything else I should do.
i say a block heater plug in type, and if you dont mind a few bucks, drain the existing coolant (save if good) and replace with 100% antifreeze instead of 50/50 mix.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Minnesota too and my car is in a unheated garage right now with normal antifreeze, you'll be fine like wssix99 said if u have normal antifreeze. Glad it won't be so cold for to long

Quick Reply: storage in extreme cold