Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Conversion; Question about lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 528 Likes on 334 Posts

Default AC Conversion; Question about lines

Hey guys. I have a 1976 Trans Am in my signature, that I am currently doing an LS1/T56 swap on. I am on a budget just like everyone, but I am planning for the future. I am going to run a Vintage Air kit and have since deleted the factory AC box off of my firewall. But rather than using the Sanden compressor that comes with the kit and running a high mount for it, I decided to convert the stock V7 Compressor to fixed and running that in the stock location. I have already notched the frame appropriately, and everything fits great with at least 1/2" of clearance everywhere.

Now, the problem that has come up is that if I use the compressor with stock lines, the lower line hits my frame and I cannot notch the frame any lower. I need to find a place that sells the block that bolts to the compressor that routes both lines upwards, rather than one up and one down. Or if there is another factory vehicle that uses the same connections.

Has anyone else came across this same issue?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.starkmfg.com/EngineeringR...ion.aspx?id=14

Looks like AA0443 would work, but I don't see where they can be purchased on this site?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since Doc's Blocks doesn't sell them anymore I bought mine from a vendor on eBay out of Florida. They were great to deal with and very informative. Look for airpartsinc on eBay. I'm sure they have what you need.

So can you go into detail what you did to change the compressor to fixed displacement? Pics and information would be great.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the tip!! I haven't converted the compressor to fixed yet, but I can once I do. I found the instructions on how to do the conversion on this site. It was a pdf file, I can try and post that if it is helpful.

Basically you would take out a valve, and remove the two inner o-rings. Or you could braze the end of the valve, or a combination of the two. I will probably braze the end of it and remove the orings. I can post it up when I do the conversion.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-LS1-Style...bf93f8&vxp=mtr

I found it! Thanks a lot, not a bad price either.

Quick Reply: AC Conversion; Question about lines