Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Going from 2.73 to 3.42

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from 2.73 to 3.42

So here's the deal. I have a 2000 z28 A4 with just a cat back , ls6 intake and P+p TB. I do plan on getting all the popular bolt one later but for now have decided to do a gear change instead. I hate my 2.73 gears and am wanting to go to 3.42. My question is should I just buy the thick gears to use with my 2 series carrier and buy the install kit or could I just get the carrier with gears from an M6? I'm thinking it would be cheaper getting it from an M6. Also if I did that would I just be able to bolt it on or would I still need to check the backlash? I'm sure I could do it my self I just don't have the tools to check the backlash or press to install the bearings so I'm hopeing I can just swap carriers and bolt everything and it be good.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Can someone please give me some input even if you haven't done but might know something about it or heard about it
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just watch the classifieds for a 3.42 rear end out of an M6. Theyre usually $200-300 for the whole thing.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you haven't done it before I'd highly recommend you have it pro. installed. If the shims and backlash are not set properly, your rear will whine all the time. Get series2 motive, or Richmond with a master install kit.
Imao, you'd be happier with 3.73s.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

either way,pinion depth and lash has to be checked.
3.42s' from a M6 could be abused and chances of setting up used gears to be quiet are virtually 0 as they already have a worn in pattern.
Best option would be acquiring a COMPLETE 3.42 rearend to just swap out then you've got your original rear as a backup.
It would have to be compatible with your car,3 channel ABS or 4 channel ABS & TC.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by justin hover
If you haven't done it before I'd highly recommend you have it pro. installed. If the shims and backlash are not set properly, your rear will whine all the time. Get series2 motive, or Richmond with a master install kit.
Imao, you'd be happier with 3.73s.
If you want quiet gears DO NOT get richmonds... They are a straighter cut gear with a harder alloy and will make noise. The blue box motives are good, as well as yukons, the best and quietest would be to get AAM or GM gears (AAM makes gm gears).... Also 3.73's may be a good choice for the op but if he does a lot of freeway driving then the 3.42's would be better imo.
Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
either way,pinion depth and lash has to be checked.
3.42s' from a M6 could be abused and chances of setting up used gears to be quiet are virtually 0 as they already have a worn in pattern.
Best option would be acquiring a COMPLETE 3.42 rearend to just swap out then you've got your original rear as a backup.
It would have to be compatible with your car,3 channel ABS or 4 channel ABS & TC.
This is correct you cant just swap the carrier you need to remove the pinion, install new bearings and a crush collar and then recheck all your tolerances. Not saying you couldn't do it with the right tools, however you sound a little novice so it would probably be left to the professionals no offense.

I agree that finding a complete m6 rear would be the easiest thing to do and I support that decision. However USED gears can be very quiet, I had a set of 3.42's installed in my car when it was an auto that I pulled straight from the junk yard, they had a TINY whine from 60-65 other than that they were quiet as stock so if they are installed correctly they should be ok.

With whatever way you decide to go you will love the way the car feels, 2.73's feel way to sluggish.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks for everyone's reply. I might just buy some motive gears then if I can't find the whole rear end for cheap. I decided to go with 3.42 because right now I'm driving it 90 miles a day and am willing to give up a little gas milage for more performce like most everyone on here. I'm confident in my abilities since I've rebuilt a couple old 350s but never messed with a rear end so I'm just going to pay someone and watch them so if I ever decide to go bigger I can do it myself.

Quick Reply: Going from 2.73 to 3.42