LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Throttle body.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Throttle body.

Hey everyone I just have some quick questions.

My friend said I could trade his 52mm throttle body for a set of ls1 calipers I have, so I'm gonna be getting a 52mm over my stock 48mm.

How do you measure to see if the throttle body is 52mm? Take a dial caliper and measure each bore from the back? Should each bore be half of 52mm? Or 52mm.

Also since I'm a auto, I've read that you have to get a tune when putting on a bigger TB, can you drive with one for a while without a tune?

Would a bigger TB benefit my H/C? Like help it get in air better? I think I already have a restriction with my shorty headers.

Also, dumb questions. Is it pretty east to change? I don't remember if there is any coolant involved or whatever taking it off.

Thank you

Mods- 1994 z28, Madz28 tune, K&N CAI, Port Polish Heads, Port Polish Manifold, 1.6 comp cam roller rockers, CC503, Edelbrock shorty headers, Flowmaster catback (cat delete)Electric cutout Yank SS3600
Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The throttle body is twin 52mm holes.

You can drive without a tune for a little bit but it isn't recommended. Since the throttle body flows more air at a lower TPS reading you are making more power down low - the PCM doesn't know this so it keeps the line pressure in the transmission "soft." Line pressure needs to be increased (only at low throttle position though) or you risk frying the transmission.

You could likely benefit from a 52mm throttle body but the gains will not be substantial. Maybe a handful of HP tops.

It is not difficult to change. Assuming you have already done the coolant bypass there isn't much to it. Four bolts, a few electrical connections, the throttle linkage and a vacuum line and it comes right off. Installation is the reverse of the removal. Simple.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't done the TB bypass yet. Just will have to keep the antifreeze under control. Ok cool. I'll wait till I get a retune to put it on.

Quick Reply: LT1 Throttle body.