Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

6.0 with a 4.8 crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 6.0 with a 4.8 crank

I was talking with a friend of mine who said he saw a 6.0 or 6.2 block with a 4.8 crank that had forged rods and pistons making it a 330ci motor I believe it was. My question is how would something like that with a bigger bore and short stroke like a Procharger? Sounds like it would be a lot of fun in a light fox body or Camaro. Maybe even a turbo setup. It would also seem to be a good setup for big boost since the pistons wouldn't come very far out of the bore
Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-pg-5-7-a.html

There is the thread you are refferring to. I think it would be a cool set up for a turbo car (like what he is using it for) IDK how it would go with a procharger though. It may be more problems than it is worth spinning that many RPMs and having to rely on the belt staying in place. I have no experience with a procharger, maybe someone will chime in and set it straight.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

yeah i have a feeling thats where your friend heard of it haha

its funny because my friend with the turbo truck has talked about doing stuff like this for a long time.

its neat to see someone and some other people have done it

his idea stemmed out of it would be cool when we swap fox cars to use 4.8/5.3 parts to make it a 5.0 hahaha

the big bore short stroke looks like a lot of fun for a turbo car!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a friend that has destroked motor like that. its been a tough one he's been on the hot rod power tour and it takes a beating.It definitely would be a good boosted motor but to me all Ls stuff is.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM
no title here

I had forgotten about that thread. I actually read through it again. I had built a 408 for my Camaro and was going to run an 88. I sold that setup and was planning on running a LS2 390ci motor. But this build sounds so good in a LS2 with lightweight rotating assembly, the AFR 225s I have, a good cam and either a turbo or D1. It would be going in a 6speed Camaro. I wonder how much easier this setup would be on drivetrain parts since it is a little more peaky than a big cube motor would be.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
I had forgotten about that thread. I actually read through it again. I had built a 408 for my Camaro and was going to run an 88. I sold that setup and was planning on running a LS2 390ci motor. But this build sounds so good in a LS2 with lightweight rotating assembly, the AFR 225s I have, a good cam and either a turbo or D1. It would be going in a 6speed Camaro. I wonder how much easier this setup would be on drivetrain parts since it is a little more peaky than a big cube motor would be.
I have been toying with the idea myself, just dont know when I want to try it. LMAO!!!

There is a thread on Yellow Bullet also of a guy doing this to kill the torque of his car becuase he races in the 8.5 tire classes. I dont remember if he ever updated the thread, but he was thinking along the same lines, you kill the torque to maintain traction and be a little easier on the rest of the drivetrain.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't use a ProCharger on something like this. The high RPMs + Blower = Belt slip.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM
no title here

What if it was a cog setup? Would the added stress of being cog be a bad idea on the snout of a stock crank? Does anyone have a cog setup for a fourth gen F body?

SmoknSS what part of Alabama are you from? I see you have a TBSS in your sig and we usually go out to the drag strip here in Montgomery and I run my TBSS. Once a month or so we ride up to Birmingham for a car meet and racing. If you're near either one you should join us
Old 01-18-2013, 07:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO you always want to make the most base HP you can with a blower, meaning n/a power. Big bore short works works well on turbo applications but with a very peaky centrifugal I'd want as much torque to go with it as possible.

Quick Reply: 6.0 with a 4.8 crank