LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lights flickering problem , video inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lights flickering problem , video inside

I don't see other problems in the car , but the flickering itself is annoying if I think about it, or just keep looking at the dash playing with idle to see if it's gone or not.

What are possible things that cause this flickering ?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

hows the alternator and battery, how are the grounds ?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
hows the alternator and battery, how are the grounds ?

I checked many times for loose grounds but couldn't find anything.

The battery has been there for two years since I bought the car. I'm not sure if there is a problem with the alternator.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had same issues. I didnt believe it was alterntor but it was the problem. I replaced with a powermaster and good to go.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ully-swap.html
Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I had same issues. I didnt believe it was alterntor but it was the problem. I replaced with a powermaster and good to go.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ully-swap.html

Great , I think I need to find a used alternator to test. I don't thinl if powermaster is available here or I have to order it , and that's not in my options because it will cost a lot for shipping.

Was your old alternator drains the battery ? Because mine doesn't !! But someone said even if it doesn't drain it could be the problem. But I'm not sure yet.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mohammed
Great , I think I need to find a used alternator to test. I don't thinl if powermaster is available here or I have to order it , and that's not in my options because it will cost a lot for shipping.

Was your old alternator drains the battery ? Because mine doesn't !! But someone said even if it doesn't drain it could be the problem. But I'm not sure yet.
Everything on my car worked perfect except the flickering lights. My battery volts even read 13.2-14. There was no other indication which is why I didnt believe it was the alternator. I believe when we get the flickering lights the cause is a bad voltage regulator.
I got mine from ws6store. The stock one is 105amp but this one is 150amp
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...mp-alternator/
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Everything on my car worked perfect except the flickering lights. My battery volts even read 13.2-14. There was no other indication which is why I didnt believe it was the alternator. I believe when we get the flickering lights the cause is a bad voltage regulator.
I got mine from ws6store. The stock one is 105amp but this one is 150amp
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...mp-alternator/

Thanks a lot , I will find if I can only replace the regulator or just get a new alternator.

Thanks again for the info and links
Old 01-18-2013, 04:01 AM
TECH Regular

The stock one is 105amp but this one is 150amp

Is that ok to install a higher amp alternator ? Wouldn't that allow too much current in the wiring ? Which cause more heat ?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks a lot , I will find if I can only replace the regulator or just get a new alternator.

Thanks again for the info and links
I looked into the issue myself and I came to the conclusion its best to just buy a new one. I believe the regulator is welded inside or something? All I know is its not a bolt in bolt out piece. Maybe a good alternator rebuilder can do it idk. I would just get a powermaster if I was you.

Is that ok to install a higher amp alternator ? Wouldn't that allow too much current in the wiring ? Which cause more heat ?
Hell yeah its ok. Its better than the stock one. Nope will not cause any issues. If I had the extra $ I would have gone with the 200amp. Im not sure what came stock on your lt1 though. Still dosent matter. The 200amp would be great.

The link I sent you is for a ls1. It looks like ws6 store only has a 200amp for lt1. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...1ee39cc8267050
Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

UPDATE

I removed the alternator , replaced the voltage regulator and the laminated core.

Started the car and the flickering is still there. I think I just wasted some money and I should replace the rectifier now , if i'm not mistaken !!!! , I'm an electrician I know the rectifier has diodes and I didn't have a multimeter to check it , took it to a car electrician and after a while he told me it's fine. It doesn't need to be replaced !!

voltage regulator

core

This is a pic of a rectifier , but it's for another car (just to show how it looks) it's almost the same.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Did you put a volt meter to the alternator while the car is running?

Quick Reply: Lights flickering problem , video inside