Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to put in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to put in reverse

I put a Tick T56, Tick MC, monster st 2 or 3 can't remember, and a MGW shifter, in all at same time, about 3 years ago. All was great for about a month or two. Then one day I go to put in R and shifter is super stiff. Car shifts 1-6 flawlessly at any rpm, but then almost takes two hands to put in R. No grinding, no noises, no abnormal feel through shifter, just stiff. Put about 4k miles just after putting it together, then has basically been parked for the last 2.5 years as I have a company van now.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lets start with this. can you get into the reverse gate and then its hard getting it into reverse or is it hard to push the shifter over into the reverse gate and into reverse itself? there is a solenoid that prevents you from entering the gate when the car is going over 3mph if it goes bad or gets disconnected it will always lock you out of reverse. so every time you go to get into reverse you will have to fight the solenoid which would make it very tough.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Moves freely in the 5/6 column, as soon as I try to push right and up its tough but not notchy. Just as if a weak person is pushing on shifter against me. But it does go into gear every time, as in no grind, no popping out or not getting all the way in.

Would it be the same plug that operates cags?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

If so you may be on to something. It's been 3 years but it seems I may have left that plug out thinking I outsmarted cags. Who's the dummy now?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Default reverse lockout Solenoid

I agree with the above posting. That Solenoid, when no power is applied will engage, with power it will disengage. Its funny because I just converted my car to a 6-speed and used a switch to power it. GL!

Quick Reply: Hard to put in reverse