Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What causes boost to fall off as RPM's rise? (BAD ASSES INSIDE PLEASE!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What causes boost to fall off as RPM's rise? (BAD ASSES INSIDE PLEASE!)

I'm seeing a strange issue with my turbo fox. With 20psi on top of the waste gate from my controller I see the following:

@ 5000 rpm I make 250kpa
@ 5700 rpm I make 235kpa
@ 6500 rpm I make 220kpa

It does this in low gear and high gear every pass. It's a linear fall as RPM's rise.

Combo is a 370ci, stock 317's, ls6 mani, box stock s475 (1.32AR T6), manifold kit, open 5" downpipe, twin 38mm gates, boost least co2 controller (no leaks), 3" cold side, pump gas and meth, powerglide.

What could cause this? Everyone assures me it's not the turbo running out of steam, but what else could it be?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what cam?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

are you sure the wastegates arent cracking open when they shouldnt (if there really arent any leaks)? im using a manual controll and it starts at 12lbs and tapers to 9.5lbs (which is what the spring is rated for). it just cant put enough pressure back on top of the gate.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by salemetro
what cam?
230/230 .612/.608 115+2lsa comp xfi
Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
are you sure the wastegates arent cracking open when they shouldnt (if there really arent any leaks)? im using a manual controll and it starts at 12lbs and tapers to 9.5lbs (which is what the spring is rated for). it just cant put enough pressure back on top of the gate.
I'm using co2 on the top of the gate. No leaks I can find, just tapers off through the rpm band.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

What does spring pressure only produce for boost? I know you are putting pressure to the top of the gate with CO2 but it still matters if the spring is too weak for your targeted 20 psi.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

prolly running out of compressor.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

5-6psi on the spring. Then 20psi on top makes 20psi at the manifd
Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Its a 4 psi loss. Does it start making 21.5psi at 5000rpm's, or before?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:54 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by dville_gt
5-6psi on the spring. Then 20psi on top makes 20psi at the manifd
Swap in a spring or set of springs that gets it up to around 14-15 psi on spring pressure alone, then feed pressure to the top of it to hit your target and see if it stays steadier. If it doesn't you are probably out of turbo at that point if everything pressure tests fine. I suppose it could be valve float, what valve springs are you running with that cam?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Swap in a spring or set of springs that gets it up to around 14-15 psi on spring pressure alone, then feed pressure to the top of it to hit your target and see if it stays steadier. If it doesn't you are probably out of turbo at that point if everything pressure tests fine.
Thats a quick/good idea to try out. when i had a 5psi spring in, it fell HARD to the spring pressure from 12lbs. put the 9.5lb spring in and was a much slower taper
Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Swap in a spring or set of springs that gets it up to around 14-15 psi on spring pressure alone, then feed pressure to the top of it to hit your target and see if it stays steadier. If it doesn't you are probably out of turbo at that point if everything pressure tests fine. I suppose it could be valve float, what valve springs are you running with that cam?
Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Thats a quick/good idea to try out. when i had a 5psi spring in, it fell HARD to the spring pressure from 12lbs. put the 9.5lb spring in and was a much slower taper
everyone i know running co2 are running the lightest springs they can find in their gates so they get the best control with the co2. i can't use a 14psi spring cause then i won't be able to launch below 14psi.

i'm running the lunati .650 springs
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Advance the cam 3 more degrees and see what happens.

You could be losing control of the valvetrain too. If that intake lobe is boincing off the seat... itll leak manifold pressure.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Coal Mining Director

Log the back pressure? It generally builds with rpm also. Ramp up the CO2 4psi in the drop zone.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

I am using a stock cam sprocket so it's just installed straight up. how would i know if it's that vs. running out of turbo?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

here is the log of one of the passes, the red line up top is RPM, the green line up top is speed, the purple line down low is MAP, car is a glide so you can see the one shift.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why is the speed so funky?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 PM
7 Second Club

everyone i know running co2 are running the lightest springs they can find in their gates so they get the best control with the co2. i can't use a 14psi spring cause then i won't be able to launch below 14psi.

i'm running the lunati .650 springs
I guess I just control my launch boost pressure with my 2 step RPM but if you don't have a 2 step I don't suppose that would work for you. Either way it would just be a test so you could just launch off idle if you wanted to since it's just to see if pressure is anymore steady.

Those Lunati duals are good so I doubt they would have a problem controlling the valve train.

Onfire touched on something too, since it seems you have a fancy boost controller you should have the ability to put more pressure to the top of the gate in the higher RPM/speeds to counter it?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 PM
7 Second Club

here is the log of one of the passes, the red line up top is RPM, the green line up top is speed, the purple line down low is MAP, car is a glide so you can see the one shift.
My GTO used to have a similar effect with my old camshaft. I knew my hotside backpressure was through the roof on my setup because my turbos are just too small so I had somebody spec me another camshaft to try to deal with the large amount of backpressure and keep it pulling up in the higher RPMs. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but I'll be damned if my boost stays nice and steady now instead of dropping a couple psi by redline. But I really don't think it's your problem here seeing as how you have a large turbine wheel on that thing with a T6 flange and wide open downpipe.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by o2camaross
Why is the speed so funky?
powerglide using a pulse width generator. the output is a little sporadic.

I guess I just control my launch boost pressure with my 2 step RPM but if you don't have a 2 step I don't suppose that would work for you. Either way it would just be a test so you could just launch off idle if you wanted to since it's just to see if pressure is anymore steady.

Those Lunati duals are good so I doubt they would have a problem controlling the valve train.

Onfire touched on something too, since it seems you have a fancy boost controller you should have the ability to put more pressure to the top of the gate in the higher RPM/speeds to counter it?
i use a 2 step and a boost controller. i have a launch psi and then as soon as i let off the brake it starts stages to get me to full boost. i can't really use it the way you are saying since it is time based, not speed or rpm based, so if i tried to trick it i could potentially way over boost it if the run isn't perfectly on time.

My GTO used to have a similar effect with my old camshaft. I knew my hotside backpressure was through the roof on my setup because my turbos are just too small so I had somebody spec me another camshaft to try to deal with the large amount of backpressure and keep it pulling up in the higher RPMs. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but I'll be damned if my boost stays nice and steady now instead of dropping a couple psi by redline. But I really don't think it's your problem here seeing as how you have a large turbine wheel on that thing with a T6 flange and wide open downpipe.
ya, its a giant turbine housing, and a 5" downpipe. i need to pressure test the cold side and make sure i don't have a leak somewhere causing the turbo to run out of steam.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the ability to add like a 9 psi spring in the gates and see if it gets any better?

Quick Reply: What causes boost to fall off as RPM's rise? (BAD ASSES INSIDE PLEASE!)