New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlights flashing need technical help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights flashing need technical help!

i know its a little off subject but i know there are a lot of smart guys on here that might be able to help me. im still new to the site so if im in the wrong category please direct me to whgere to go.
ok i have a 2007 gmc denali for my wife with the 6.2 all aluminum engine , having a problem with the headlights, and interior lights pulsating as the engine gains rpm's. at idle no flash uuntilli get above 1500 rpm. im an electricain by trade and i think i have covered all the basics i could think of. battery voltage with engine not running. 12.76. tight ground connection and positive, good connection to frame. all connections seem to be good. the only thing that is kind of bothering me is with the engine running im getting a 15 volt reading on the gage for battery voltage. and my own volt meter is going back and forth from 14.8 to 15 volts on the battery with the engine running, is that too much? do i have an altenator problem?
hopefully someone had this problem and found the fix. hope to hear what you guys have to say.
thanks!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:my own volt meter is going back and forth from 14.8 to 15 volts on the battery with the engine running, is that too much?

Yes
13.7- 14.2v normal. 15v will cook the battery. with 12.7 the battery is probably still ok 12.6 is normal voltage with the surface charge off of it. The voltage regulator is the cause,
replacement alternator will fix it remeber you get what you pay for. White box Chinese
BS is just that. Pay close attention to the drive belt pulley on reman alternators it's best to reuse your old one. Replacements tend to be thicker at the rear causing belt fray and noise.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a lot, i will get on that and get a new altenator today and swap it out! thanks for the helpful info, this site and the people are great!

Quick Reply: headlights flashing need technical help!