Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some electrical tech advice ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some electrical tech advice ASAP

ok heres the deal i did a 2000 ss swap into my 98 i used the 00 wire harness 00 pcm cause it was dyno tuned for the engine and i used the 00 guage cluster .. my entire guage cluster is inop and ive found the issue already the 98 has a extra plug to run the cluster in the car im sure youve all heard this before but what im searching for that i havent found is a solution a easier one that is.. anyone have a solution to get my guages back running again .. the car is running off the 98 bcm still due to vats system but i did the swap and did the vats overide thinking mabey one or two guages may come back but nothing .. all the lights work on the cluster just nothing else . wierd thing is is when i plug my scan tool in the car my fuel guage and my volt guage work ? im a gm tech but not in a shop anymore so i dont have all the trinkets to diag this can anyone point me in the right direction or has solved this problem just shy of making a panel and running all after market guages ?? ive searched for this already and have found alot of similiar issues but no solutions someone help me !! im tired of running out of gas and using my phone speedo lmao
Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely they work with a scan tool because the tool is connecting
signal grd to chassis grd you can confirm this by jumping pins 4 & 5 on
the data link (see pic) Check the grd wires on the back of the drivers side
head.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DLC.pdf (69.7 KB, 89 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sreve
Most likely they work with a scan tool because the tool is connecting
signal grd to chassis grd you can confirm this by jumping pins 4 & 5 on
the data link (see pic) Check the grd wires on the back of the drivers side .

Goo
head.
good call I will jump pins on it and see what happens .. I'm pretty sure the head ground is bolted Down that swap day was pretty nuts but now ya got me thinking I will check just to be sure .. that wont bring all the cluster back to life will it ? I belive the 98 body has a extra plug that the 2000 did not
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Teching In

okay so i jumped pin 4/5 and my gas guaged jumped around abit so i checked all my grounds and found one that was disconnected so i repaired thanks for the advice on that anyone got any other repair solutions on this .. could i just take the extra plug on the 98 body harness and tap into the outputs on the pcm to run my guages ? anyone have a schematic on the guages for a 98 and a 2000 pcm output ?

Quick Reply: Need some electrical tech advice ASAP