Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SBE 346/pt88 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SBE 346/pt88 turbo build

Well I decided to go turbo! I have played with nitrous over the years and am sick of filling bottles. So I decided to try out the turbo world. I will give you a little run down.

Engine SBE 346 LS1
Edelbrock pro flo intake
Edelbrock pro flo rails
SFI 160lbs injectors
Versafueler
truck manifolds
custom cross over piping
tial wastegate and tial bov
dual intank walbro pumps one off hobbs switch set at 4psi
stock feed with evap line as return
aeromotive 1:1 regulator
Griffin vertical radiator
twin derale pusher fans
abs delete and line lock
2 bar map
front mount intercooler
3 inch IC piping
2.5 crossover piping
PT88 turbo
blah blah blah

So I have been working on this project for a while now and thought I would share my adventure as its to cold here to do anything else lol.

I started by pulling the motor and trans to go through the bottom end and install new rod bearings and crank bearings and also paint my dirty engine bay. Might take me awhile to download these pictures. I have been taking pictures along the way as I have been doing things to the car.

Here is a picture of last years setup.

Pulling engine

Out comes the motor and trans.

Took the engine apart. Bearings looked pretty damn good for the amount of nitrous this engine has inhaled. But I took crank over to get checked and polished and ordered rod and main bearings. Crank checked out fine so a polish was all it recieved.

Last edited by FASTFB; 01-22-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice build there bud! Ill be following your build thread Are you gonna run E85? Im asking because injectors seem too big for the build unless im not thinking right lol.

Forged internals? What compression will you be running?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

Yes sorry should have put that on the top. It will be ran on e85.
The internals are stock with the exception of rod bolts. The motor received new rod bearings and crank bearings. The Heads are ported 806 heads that have been on the car and seem to do very well. They will stay because of the porting and the chamber size they will do well. Compression should be right around the 9.8.1. The engine does have arp head studs and mls gaskets so that should help me get a little further. I also left the cam in there from when I was running nitrous. its a 235/239 600/598 We will see how it works might end up changing it. I belive its like 13 degrees of overlap. It might not like it that. But Im going to try.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a cool build! Should make some good power. What is the LSA of the cam? Also, how much boost are you planning on running? How big of wastegate?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FASTFB
Yes sorry should have put that on the top. It will be ran on e85.
The internals are stock with the exception of rod bolts. The motor received new rod bearings and crank bearings. The Heads are ported 806 heads that have been on the car and seem to do very well. They will stay because of the porting and the chamber size they will do well. Compression should be right around the 9.8.1. The engine does have arp head studs and mls gaskets so that should help me get a little further. I also left the cam in there from when I was running nitrous. its a 235/239 600/598 We will see how it works might end up changing it. I belive its like 13 degrees of overlap. It might not like it that. But Im going to try.
Should be a great car when done. Specs seem good for what you are doing, cam does seem a little too big for the setup IMO. Otherwise it will turn out great what about the drivetrain?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jakson
Sounds like a cool build! Should make some good power. What is the LSA of the cam? Also, how much boost are you planning on running? How big of wastegate?
LSA is a 112+4 , I have a tial 44 gate for it. For the boost level Im not sure yet. I am going to start out pretty light (10psi) I will add boost once I get the tune happy with that amount. I would like to run 16-18psi if I can make it Happy with that much boost.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Should be a great car when done. Specs seem good for what you are doing, cam does seem a little too big for the setup IMO. Otherwise it will turn out great what about the drivetrain?
Drive train I dont think I will have to touch? I am running a art carr th400 with a tight 3800 Neal Chance covertor, 9 inch with 3.90 pro gears and 28 inch mt's. I talked to Marty at Chance last year and he thought I had a lot to gain by sending the convertor back and loosing it up. But I think I would like to try it with this setup first. The tight convetor might work just great with the turbo? 9 inch is built nice aluminum center, 40 spline mosers, braced housing, wolfcraft anti roll bar, ect.ect.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah you are more than fine on drivetrain lol
Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

3.90 is a lot of gear for a turbo car, how fast you plan to go?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowlsx
3.90 is a lot of gear for a turbo car, how fast you plan to go?
As fast as I can haha. I thought about the gears hurting me. I am going to try them out and if they dont seem to work good I will be switching to a 3.40 or something. You think the 3.90 gears will be a waste?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FASTFB
As fast as I can haha. I thought about the gears hurting me. I am going to try them out and if they dont seem to work good I will be switching to a 3.40 or something. You think the 3.90 gears will be a waste?
ya 3.90s are going to be pretty much out of the question. youll be on the limiter way before the finish. 3.40 or taller.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Any reason why you are not replacing the pistons and rods while your in there?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Any reason why you are not replacing the pistons and rods while your in there?
No real reason for not putting pistons and rods in it. Just want to see how far I can go with what is in front of me.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Engine bay was really dirty!

Cut radiator into the car while engine is out.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good progress. Modifying the engine bay for the build?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Good progress. Modifying the engine bay for the build?
The only thing I did was cut the radiator in. I didn't really like the way it looks if you cut the core out like some do. I also moved the wires to the fender. I was also going to move the fuse boxes but they are not hurting anything where they are so no big deal for now. My dad used to own a body shop so I called in for a favor. ( come look at something at my shop. Oh bring your paint gun. I have the beer!) so we sprayed the engine bay with base clear DuPont. Turned out nice. I installed the intercooler up front by cutting the bumper support. Then made some brackets for the bottom of the intercooler.

Now I need to install fans and trans cooler up front. I also bought a derale fan to mount on trans cooler. My idea is to run it up in front of the radiator so when it's running it will really be like three pushers.. We will see how it turns out. Pictures to come.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Very nice man. Whats next on your agenda?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Getting the cooling fans mounted and wired in. Then relocate the trans cooler and install fan on trans cooler. Mount front bumper. Then finish hot side. I welded the v bands on and have a couple things to finish on hot side. Almost done with it. Should have some more pictures tomorrow for you. I will be working all night on it. Should get a lot done.. I hope...we all know how that goes haha.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

What are you doing for a hood latch with the radiator there? Where are you putting the Trans cooler?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
What are you doing for a hood latch with the radiator there? Where are you putting the Trans cooler?
I run latch less... Sunoco ext hood. Couple pictures of it last summer.

Here is what I did tonight with the cooling fans and trans cooler. I installed two derale fans on the rad. I then made a braket to mount the trans cooler in between the radiato and the intercooler. I also put a fan on the trans cooler and wired it into the 2nd fan for radiator. Here are a few pictures of what it turned out like. I thought the trans cooler up there would be good because it will really act like a third fan?

Front bumper in place. Fans and trans cooler mounted and wired.

Quick Reply: SBE 346/pt88 turbo build