General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering and some other issues

Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering and some other issues

Hey guys I'm having some issues with my power steering on my 94 Z28. On a cold start when it starts it makes a loud whining noise but my power steering works fine. After a few minutes the power steering stops working but the whining stops. Normal driving when on the gas the power steering is alright but still has trouble making full turns of the wheel while slowing or braking. What could be the issue? Its been cold the past few months so I dont know if thats related to it.

Also when the car warms the belts make a squeeking noise could this be the belt tensioner or some sort of pulley?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the miles you may have a bad pump and wont build pressure . I would replace the fluid first .
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Sounds like you have several issues but,

Originally Posted by stevesfbody
Normal driving when on the gas the power steering is alright but still has trouble making full turns of the wheel while slowing or braking. What could be the issue?
this sounds like the pressure relief valve on the pump is not well and is bleeding off pressure. (Turning it faster would help compensate for that.)

If you want to save a buck, you could probably track down a pressure relief valve kit and replace it in the current pump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering and some other issues