Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang body harness cut WTF!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mustang body harness cut WTF!?

Only reason why I thought to look at the harness is because I found a fuse block in a box, which I hoped was a spare (LOL).. So I emdetly looked at the wiring last night to find this awesomeness. yeah I should have looked before I bought it but who the hell thinks to look under the dash for wiring or under the carpet? Unless you've had this problem before. Well the POS I got this coupe failed to mention that the fuse block and wiring harness that goes to the rear have all been cut in half!! WTF!! I've seen several threads of people going with aftermarket harness's for this who did you use and how much? Oh and covered by some nice floor mats and a hacked up carpet there is a pad for the door bar that was crudely RIPPED out!

So that being said, should I repair the harness part's I need and scrap everything else? Spending 4-500 or so on a Painless kit is hard to chew. I was just sitting at my desk and thought maybe I could splice and soader the wires back.. Please give me some insight on this I almost wanted to scrap the whole build.(I HATE WIRING)
Attached Thumbnails Mustang body harness cut WTF!?-2.jpeg   Mustang body harness cut WTF!?-1.jpg   Mustang body harness cut WTF!?-3.jpeg  
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Do you have any junk yards around where you could pull a full body harness out of? I'd think that would be the easiest and cheapest way to repair it without having to reconnect that mess.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry to hear that you got railroaded. I'm kinda in the same boat - nothing cut or hacked but it's the factory wiring in my 86, 26 years old and starting to get brittle.

Would like to hear what the other options are in regards to new rewire kits.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did some searches and found a post for EZ wiring http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html. There top kit is 185, after all this and I told my boss earlier he was like "Oh hey we that hatch at my dads shop, come get what you need..." I guess ill be ripping it out of there!!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Teching In

I have a EZ Wiring harness, better guage wires then painless a lot cheaper to..

http://ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html
Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, if you don't plan to keep AC or heater/blower or stock gauge cluster or air bags, I'd just build a harness to work. If you do plan to keep those functions, pick up a harness from a 90-92 or 92-93 depending on where the OEM fuel pump relay was located. However, if you do get the "wrong" harness for the "other" fuel pump relay location, it's not hard to move the relay.

Sometime in 1992 the fuel pump relay moved from under the drivers seat to under the hood.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usdmholden
Honestly, if you don't plan to keep AC or heater/blower or stock gauge cluster or air bags, I'd just build a harness to work. If you do plan to keep those functions, pick up a harness from a 90-92 or 92-93 depending on where the OEM fuel pump relay was located. However, if you do get the "wrong" harness for the "other" fuel pump relay location, it's not hard to move the relay.

Sometime in 1992 the fuel pump relay moved from under the drivers seat to under the hood.
Good to know, we were talking today and thinking I will probably just do a simple harness for the basics. My wife doesn't want me driving it on the streets anyways. I also want it to be a "Street Car" so I can compete at some point in a street car class if any??

I guess i would need fuel pump, tail lights, front lights, horn, wipers, and blinkers. Plus what ever i need for gauges and what not, that sound right?

Quick Reply: Mustang body harness cut WTF!?