PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine stalls when a/c turned on

Old 01-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine stalls when a/c turned on

In the final stages of a 1971 Chevelle LS3 setup. My problem is that the engine stalls when the a/c is turned on. It seems as if the PCM doesn't compensate for the load. The a/c is running independantly, not being controlled by the pcm. Is that my problem? Or should the PCM be able to adjust for the load regardless? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's a few pics of the project car.
Attached Thumbnails Engine stalls when a/c turned on-dsc_1175.jpg   Engine stalls when a/c turned on-dsc_1138.jpg   Engine stalls when a/c turned on-dsc_1140.jpg  
Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one sweet Chevelle!! Yes, if your A/C is not seen by the PCM, it won't compensate for it. There should be a way to connect into the needed pin on the PCM and tell it when the A/C is on - it will probably take some research to figure out how to wire it, but it should be doable...
Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my mustang i had the same problem. My PCM had AC input and it still stalled unless i lightly raised the idle with the throttle for a second or two then it was fine. Also if i started it with the ac already on with would usually surge or stall.

I would definately wire the PCM to sense the AC being on and play with the tune.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It may not apply but hoe old is your battery and alternator.

When my battery started to fail my engine would die when I turned on my A/C. Seems the A/C pulled so much power there wasn't enough to run the engine.

Just a thought.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes, you need to tell the PCM the AC is on and it should bump idle 50 rpm (at least my LS1 does) just need to figure out which wire, AC request, signal or whatever. I got it all hooked up with mine and Vintage Air setup.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies.

@ssduane, what did the a/c request/signal pin need? i.e. 12v, 5v, ground? Did you have to hook up anything else?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by QUEST4-10S
Thanks for all the replies.

@ssduane, what did the a/c request/signal pin need? i.e. 12v, 5v, ground? Did you have to hook up anything else?

Here is a post a while back I did on wiring up my VA to PCM #16 post has a pdfhttps://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...m-drawing.html

what AC are you using?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

It is probably something in the tune that just needs adjusted. Maybe more minimum airflow on the lower rpms than idle settings. So if it gets a small pull down on rpm, the airflow will be added to make it stay back up.

One or two tables should fix it.

Remember, old cars that had carburetors? They didn't die when you turned on ac.... It is just a tweak to an adder table that is needed. The cam you are using requires a bit of changes.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

ssduane, that is a great diagram. I printed it, but I might be having to go a different route. I found a good deal on a GMPP engine control setup, but I am running into the same wall. I just posted another thread, trying to figure out if that setup can handle a/c request.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

The post I did right before your reply answered your fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine stalls when a/c turned on