Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions on '00 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions on '00 Z28

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and any advice you got for me is welcome. Just picked up a 2000 Z28 for about $3,000 which seemed like a decent deal, but I figured I'd be dealing with issues soon. It's mainly stock, has high mileage, about 195k so I assumed it may be due for engine & tranny work. Was hoping to enjoy it for a short season, but feared the worst as CEL came on with P0430. Looks like it has no right cat, and has some popping backfire upon deceleration. Some bad hesitation on throttle about 50% down, and some engine ticking. Didn't seem like a biggie, but today I think the car went into neutral once on deceleration and couldn't get into gear. After about half a minute though, it got into gear and I made it to work. Clutch feels kinda spongy to me, slow on return, maybe on its way out. U guys think it's clutch or the transmission going out? What's a good price nowadays on engine rebuild, transmission & clutch work on LS1? Been out of the loop on this for years, just hoping this is worth investing in.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey man. Honestly it sounds just like minor things. The backfiring on decel maybe from the lack of a cat normally the cats would muffle any backfires. The flat spot sounds like your maf and the spongy clutch pedal could just need a fluid change or new hydraulics although I imagine with 195k on it you may be due for a clutch. I'd do a full tune up clean the maf and bleed the hydraulics and see where your ay
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

agreed ^^^.check the fluid levels in the trans .the ticking is probably coming from the valve train,check the rockers for any missing needle bearings.do a compression check ,these engines go 200,000 + miles .
Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks, yeah got the car home. Will check fluids, but man clutch is really sticking more to the floor, not returning much so I think it's almost out. Confirmed no cats and an extremely lousy weld job on exhaust. Guess that must be throwing the O2 sensors for a loop, bad exhaust smell and thus the P0430 code. Kinda bought it on impulse, but expecting a project. Will have a few grand to spend in the next few weeks. So tune up & clutch job is on the lineup. Don't know much about LS1, anything tricky on plugs/coils on this? Also considering at Magnaflow exhaust system, any opinions?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run a search, 10 different people will reccomend 10 different exhaust systems. Listen to clips on youtube or ls1sounds.com
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Launching!

sticking pedal sounds like a bad clutch master cylinder
Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys. I figured the clutch issue out. Looks like it was a combo of air in system and spring on clutch pedal was bad. I popped it off, and bam, return back on clutch! This should be a first check for most folks. I ended up replacing master cylinder (yikes, that nasty firewall) but it may not have even been bad. Got a Mighty Vac and bled clutch in about 10 min. Also, pulled MAF sensor and cleaned it.. wow what a difference! Response back in throttle, no hesitation. Replaced thermostat, and seems like she's running great. So far, minor issues. Will post pics in new thread. Got her some new shoes.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Here she is, just bought.. mainly stock. More coming in a new thread
Attached Thumbnails Few questions on '00 Z28-car1.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Launching!

glad to hear it is running much better. I just bought a 00 ss with 99 a couple months ago and I had a bad maf sensor. Soon as I replaced ran great. If you are looking to do an exhaust and since your cats are bad . Texas speed a sponser on here sells awesome stainless steel headers. You can get them for like 550 with ory and a little more for catted y. So far since I got my car I put new maf, wheelbearings, axels, new ls6 intake a must for a 98-00, and a slp lid. Dont worry to much about your engine. There are a ton of 5.3,5.7,6.0 out there. Hope you the best Gl and welcome

Quick Reply: Few questions on '00 Z28