Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 2nd gear.... Oops.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 2nd gear.... Oops.

I have an 01 SS that dyno 502.

2nd gear syncro finally got destroyed and the other day when I tried to power shift into 2nd it gave away...

I'm going to rebuild it next weekend but would like to have the parts before tearing it apart.

can someone give me a list of things I need that might be broken without seeing it apart?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Someone chime in here... I know it's a common problem but couldn't find much searching...
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Teching In

There's so many variables here. Don't order parts without tearing it apart.. When I rebuilt mine I thought I would need other parts but ended up being something totally different. Take the time to tear it apart, organize all the parts, and find out what you need.

By losing second, do you mean it goes into the 2nd gear position and doesnt engage? Or won't go into second at all.

Either way sounds like you'll definitely need a synchro, and possibly the second gear.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BoostedTurd
There's so many variables here. Don't order parts without tearing it apart.. When I rebuilt mine I thought I would need other parts but ended up being something totally different. Take the time to tear it apart, organize all the parts, and find out what you need.
Yes. I did this and trust me, it's the only way to go. You may have something else going on and there's no way of knowing about it until you tear it apart. I know it's inconvenient to have to spend the time waiting for parts, but unless you don't mind spending more than you need to and still take a risk not getting something you needed, then just wait until you have it apart.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

It physically goes into 2nd but as soon as you let out the clutch it pops out. I tried holding it in 2nd but I don't have enough force to do so. I think a new 2nd gear and syncro assembly would fix it... But wanted to hear what other members that have experience with the t56 said...
Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe someone can chime in and say "Could be this" or "could be that" type of thing... Come on smart trans guys!!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Teching In

You can be as smart of a trans guy as you want, there's no definite answer

If it pops out, it can still lead to a multitude of things. It can be something as simple as just the synchro needing replaced, to something as major as either A) Bent/damaged shift fork or B) Needing to replace the actual second gear unit.

I'm leaning towards the damaged shift fork, this is very common with the 3-4th gear fork, a little less common on 1-2 though..

Honestly just tear it apart. The second gear assembly is expensive and you do NOT want to buy that if you don't have to.

While your in there, replace the 3-4 shift fork with the steel one, otherwise with that kind of power your bound to damage the stock aluminum one. My car @ only 360 wheel damaged one.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Teching In

I've been through these transmissions multiple times and have plenty of experience rebuilding them.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

all of the shift forks are steel except 3-4 correct? Whats the point in engineering it that way??

2nd gear has been grinding for quite awhile so wouldn't you think that the dogs are screwed up on 2nd gear anyway? It is an 01 so does that mean that it already has the "better" 2nd gear in it?

The "kit" i'm going to buy comes with carbon fiber syncros and 1-2 and 3-4 syncro assemblies already... 2nd gear is a hair under 200 bucks... ouch.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Teching In

being as mechanically inclined as I am. I was so afraid of putting a rebuilt trans back into my s10 to have it break because of something i overlooked. TDP does a fine job and you never have to worry haha
Old 01-26-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as others have said it could be a few things. just tear it apart and go from there. I'd venture to say its gonna need new synchros, MAYBE a 2nd gear and for the problem of it popping out, it could be a messed up 1-2 fork, broken key or synchro slider assy. you'll be able to see much better when it gets torn down.

also all t56's had all alum forks unless you got one after 2002, after this they all got a steel 3-4 fork.

Quick Reply: T56 2nd gear.... Oops.