Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM/wiring harness question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM/wiring harness question

First off I hope this is the right place to post if not sorry go ahead delete/move.

Anyways i swapped my motor,trans, pcm, and engine harness out of my 98 into an 02. Car will crank and backfire once or twice but not run I was told it wont run because I don't have the 99-02 pcm and wiring harness to match up with the body harness. Is that true? Now I know there is a lot of other variables that goes into a car not running but I just want to know first if I HAVE to replace the pcm and engine harness to make everything compatible. Thanks in advance guys and gals
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

If you took the harness trans and PCM out of one car and put it into another car that means that the year of the car means nothing. The reason your car won't start could be fueling related since that is the only thing that is different for the motor. Body wiring may be different I am not for sure but if you want to check turn the key to ON and listen for the fuel pump to prime for 2 seconds. If it doesn't the computer might not be comanding it on because its not correctly wired to the pump due to the body wiring differences.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:55 AM
11 Second Club

check your coil pack wiring thoroughly. i ran into the similar problem on a friends car, turned out we had one side coil pack harness completely backwards. also get a fuel pressure gauge from autozone to test fuel pressure, and change the filter if it hasnt been done in a while. if you used a pcm and harness off another car, as lon gas they go together it should work, unless the VATs is not removed. then that may have an issue but what that will do idk.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to repin the engine harness to mate with the body harness. Find the wiring info here http://www.lt1swap.com/98-02_ls1.htm
You won't get the gauge cluster to work though. Best option would be a 99-02 harness and pcm.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flame
You need to repin the engine harness to mate with the body harness. Find the wiring info here http://www.lt1swap.com/98-02_ls1.htm
You won't get the gauge cluster to work though. Best option would be a 99-02 harness and pcm.
This is the correct answer. The plugs are pinned different where they go to the body harness. Your gauges will never work unless you get a 99-02 pcm and harness.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
This is the correct answer. The plugs are pinned different where they go to the body harness. Your gauges will never work unless you get a 99-02 pcm and harness.
But do I have to have the 99-02 pcm and harness for the car to run? That's my main question I'm assuming not from the posts. I know I need to check other things first and I am in the process of that now just wondering of for first start up it will run or need to swap out pcm/harness which I do plan on doing anyways
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have 2 options repin the harness or replace it with 99-02

Quick Reply: PCM/wiring harness question