Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! TRANS PAIN!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! TRANS PAIN!!!!

i put a 4l60e new rebuilt in my 2000 chevy silverado 4x4 .drove out seemed to be ok then
at 10 mph a alarm would go off stayed on until would stop.also at 10mph.would shift hard drove around 17 miles to work was able to drive 70mph.at around 2100rpms.
alarm going off the hole way also brake light blinking consistently that could be the alarm problem not sure. took to auto zone code came up p1870 said was shifting into fourth gear with slippage or tcc then was driving home and became worse as to where in order for me to drive i had to put into od. made it to my brothers down the road.we checked the fluids,fluids good and noticed the fluid was not hot. so then we drove
approx. 1 mile and the truck will not pull itself had to tow home. took off the cables to reset ecm. held wires n and p together then replaced no change. thank you.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Search "code 1870" - there are currently 103 threads on this subject including this current one:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ssue-help.html

It generally means the lockup-clutch of the converter is slipping, but
in your case I wonder if the converter is completely shot because you have no more forward motion.

BTW - Once the PCM set code 1870, the trans will shift extra-hard.

Please confirm that your truck no longer drives forward.
Does the truck drive in reverse?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM

truck tries to engage both forward and backwards, just as I push the throttle thin gives out totally with vibration witch sounds like its coming from the torque converter.could the pump be bad. thank you.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 PM

It could be either the torque converter or the pump.
A simple "approximate" way to check the pump is to first check the fluid level with the engine off; then check the fluid level with the engine running; if the pump is working the level should go down about an inch. The definitive way to check the pump is with a pressure gauge hooked up to the pressure port on the trans.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM

checked the fluid non running and running all good,dropped an inch shut off rose right back.
could it have something to do with my brake light blinking causing no tcc lock up.
thank you.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 PM

While the brake light is related to tcc lockup, a completely messed up tcc would not prevent the truck from running normally at lower speeds. Certainly not have any effect on Reverse.
I'm guessing that the internals of the converter self-destructed, first taking out the TCC, but then taking out more.

I'm no expert and don't know much about converter problems. I'm hoping someone else can either confirm or correct me.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 AM

Thank You,
You have lead me in the right direction concerning this issue.

Quick Reply: Help!!! TRANS PAIN!!!!