Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Daytime running lights? Im confused xD

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Daytime running lights? Im confused xD

This could PROBABLY go under the Newbie section since its such a n00b question..

Anyways! - Do the 99 Trans Ams have DRLs?
Are they the amber turn signal lights? - I have noticed that they'll be brighter unless my headlights come on.

Cuz I never have my fogs or headlights on without the switch actually turning them on :p
Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
This could PROBABLY go under the Newbie section since its such a n00b question..

Anyways! - Do the 99 Trans Ams have DRLs?
Are they the amber turn signal lights? - I have noticed that they'll be brighter unless my headlights come on.

Cuz I never have my fogs or headlights on without the switch actually turning them on :p
There is no DRL that i know of, your "running lights" or turn signal lights in the front will engage when ever the E-brake is released.They will dim when you turn on your fog/headlights this is because during the day it takes more light to make them visible to otheres then it would be during the night. one way to tell is on the dash there are two holes by your defrost, its on the passenger side of the vent. you should only see one little buld that is if you have it the alarm system. the other should be blank. as far as i know only the Camaros came with DRL's
Old 01-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

777Shock777
The amber turn signals are the DRL.
That is why they are always on.
Bright filament during the day (headlights off).
Dim filament during the night (headlights on).
The Bright filament flashes for the Turn signal.

Mista Blazer
You are confusing DRL with auto-headlights.
The Canadian Firebird did have auto-headlights as well.
The US Firebird doesn't have auto-headlights (but you can probably add it).
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The main reason I ask is because I'm wanting to change my turn signals to Switchbacks, cuz they are neat

Yeah, I've always been confused simply because neither fogs nor headlights would ever engage... :O
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
The main reason I ask is because I'm wanting to change my turn signals to Switchbacks, cuz they are neat
To use them on our cars, major rewiring would be required to get the colors correct.

Weren't these invented for Hondas? lol
Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
777Shock777
Mista Blazer
You are confusing DRL with auto-headlights.
The Canadian Firebird did have auto-headlights as well.
The US Firebird doesn't have auto-headlights (but you can probably add it).
Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification! I didn't know that the Canadian had the auto's O:
Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
To use them on our cars, major rewiring would be required to get the colors correct.

Weren't these invented for Hondas? lol
I've seen a couple on youtube videos, and its because I have an HID setup on my Lows & Fogs, so I'm just trying to color match the lighting

But true if not done correctly it'll look ricey as hell. 0__o
Old 01-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

wssix99 is correct - there is no simple way to make them work so that the DRLs and turn signals are different colors. Switchbacks are set up with white LEDs on the parking light (dim) circuit and amber LEDs on the signal (bright) circuit. Our cars use the bright circuit for BOTH turn signals and DRLs so there is no (simple) way to make DRLs white and turn signals amber. You'll end up with white lights as parking lights only when the headlights are on and amber for everything else.

Oh BTW, it is illegal in almost every state to display more than four white lights at the front at the same time. That's why the fog lights turn off when you switch to high beams. Adding switchbacks running white with the headlights and fog lights might attract unwanted attention from LEOs.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 01-29-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
wssix99 is correct - there is no simple way to make them work so that the DRLs and turn signals are different colors. Switchbacks are set up with white LEDs on the parking light (dim) circuit and amber LEDs on the signal (bright) circuit. Our cars use the bright circuit for BOTH turn signals and DRLs so there is no (simple) way to make DRLs white and turn signals amber. You'll end up with white lights as parking lights only when the headlights are on and amber for everything else.

Oh BTW, it is illegal in almost every state to display more than four white lights at the front at teh same time. That's why the fog lights turn off when you switch to high beams. Adding switchbacks running white with the headlights and fog lights might attract unwanted attention from LEOs.
Ah, that does make sense. I always figured it had something to do with the Alternator being unable to handle the Fogs & highs at the same time haha...

Yeah, I've always thought they have looked cool, hmm. Maybe Just matching my HIDs & Fogs with the proper K lighting will make me just live with the amber lights!

Quick Reply: Daytime running lights? Im confused xD