Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Anyone know stock C5 and / or 4th gen. F-body lap times?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone know stock C5 and / or 4th gen. F-body lap times?

Over the last few years, magazines have published many comparison tests and shootouts which include lap times of performance vehicles on well-known road courses. I would like to compare those times with that of the C5 or the 4th gen. f-body. I have not been able to find even one article including lap times for either vehicle. Can anyone refer me to an article or post times they have found?
Old 01-26-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RADONE
Over the last few years, magazines have published many comparison tests and shootouts which include lap times of performance vehicles on well-known road courses. I would like to compare those times with that of the C5 or the 4th gen. f-body. I have not been able to find even one article including lap times for either vehicle. Can anyone refer me to an article or post times they have found?
Compare laptimes from this article with the 4th gen Camaro SS:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/search/?q=sibling
You see it beats a porsche boxster, S2000, MB SLK320, and a BMW M Roadster.

SS beats a termi cobra:
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...maro_shootout/

As far as stock C5 track times, you can find a ton if you search (will mostly be Z06 times though). Off the top of my head GM ran 7:56 with an '04 C5 Z06 on the n-ring.

Check out this database for laptimes too:
http://fastestlaps.com/
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/thunderhill_park.html
http://fastestlaps.com/cars/chevrole...automatic.html
http://fastestlaps.com/cars/chevrole...te_c5_z06.html
Old 01-26-2013, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Shame that SS they tested didn't have the factory slp airlid.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

My best lap time so far at VIR in my bolt on motor, Strano suspension WS6 is 2.17 I'm right there with the stock Z06's (c5's)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Here are my fastest laps at the tracks that I've been to.

CMP - 1:42.370
Road Atlanta - 1:35.294
VIR - 2:08.450
Roebling Road - 1:18.937
Nashville SS – 1:05.789

This was done in my road race prepped C5Z. 375 rwhp with Pfadt single-adj. coilovers weighing about 3270lbs with driver.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that the lap time comparisons probably aren't "fair" unless you have the same driver behind the wheel of the test cars, on the same track, in roughly the same conditions (to eliminate a lot of variables).
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1981TA
One thing to keep in mind is that the lap time comparisons probably aren't "fair" unless you have the same driver behind the wheel of the test cars, on the same track, in roughly the same conditions (to eliminate a lot of variables).
And also have multiple drivers testing each car since some will do better in each car depending on which they're more familiar/comfortable with.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the Stig when you need him?
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (05-07-2022)
Old 02-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks JD AMG for posting an example of exactly what I am looking for. Hopefully there are other members able to link us to similar articles.

With enough comparison data we could extrapolate where a showroom stock C5 or 4th gen F-body would place among the cars tested by Car and Driver for their annual Lightning Lap.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

This 136 vehicle comparison is the most comprehensive I could find. While I understand the times achieved by Car and Driver’s editors may not be perfect, I believe it to be more reliable than counting on several unknown individual’s anecdotal claims, where driver ability, vehicle’s mechanical state and different track conditions make direct comparisons extremely difficult.

During my search for reliable lap times it has become apparent that the hundreds of posts on the net, claiming vehicle such as the S2000, RX7, 350Z, G35 will out handle the f-body are unsupported by any actual data.

I personally believe that a stock LS1 powered 4th gen. can outperform most unmodified mid-priced coupes on any given road course. Surely I am not the only person who, for many reasons, would like to back up that belief.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Teching In

i agree with you. i have a heavily modified 2001 eclipse that i built for road course and my 1994 camaro can handle right there with it if not better in some areas. in tight corners the eclipse is a little better but both vehicles have lsd, the eclipse has a ridiculously stiff rear to induce oversteer to counter the heavy understeer (wasn't too bad till i put a heavier engine in it). i mean with convex geometry on the front double wishbone suspension and 4 bolt mounts on teh dampeners you can tell they had handling in mind when they designed it. granted a rigid rear axle isn't exactly the best but with some getting used to it works just fine. front end breaks loose, give some throttle the diff will bring the back end around nicely just don't overdo it and slide everywhere.

now the rx-7 and 350z can h andle quite well. i would say a 350z is on par with an f-body after driving a nismo. but honda admits the s2000 was not built for handling. they made it to compete with the miata and try to get sales from a market that had a void (cheap powerful convertibles). the g35 COUPE can handle alright, not the same as a 350z. the sedan just leave at home. an m3 sedan and audi a6 can out handle it and those are its main rivals

Quick Reply: Anyone know stock C5 and / or 4th gen. F-body lap times?