Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 - 2 sticking you guys might find this interesting

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow 1 - 2 sticking you guys might find this interesting

I bought a yank transmission about two and a half years ago and paired it with an SY3500. About three weeks ago the planetarys exploded and ruined most of the internals. Oh well, **it happens. Had Cottman transmissions rebuild it and everything seemed fine.

Well, all of a sudden, especially when the tranny was cold, I would start to get this slight hesitation followed by a VERY hard banging shift.
I took the car back to Cottman's and it turns out the piston in the 1 - 2 actuator had been reversed to soften the shiftkits shifting. The tranny guy said that this is a common trick tranny builders use to soften the shifting while keeping the clamping force. The problem is that the piston isn't designed to be reversed and it will wobble scoring the piston walls. After awhile the piston sticks and a lot of line pressure builds up to force the shift. Cottman installed an entire new unit (under warranty ) and now the car shifts great, just like a tranny with a shift kit should. The 1 - 2 shift IS hard but the car surges forward and chirps the tires now instead of banging.

I am happy.

But I thought that I should pass this info on. I asked if that could of been one of the reasons the tranny blew and Cottman said, "It would of contributed to it."
Old 04-18-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTT for guys with built tranny's that are having issues
Old 04-19-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2edybrd
I bought a yank transmission about two and a half years ago and paired it with an SY3500. About three weeks ago the planetarys exploded and ruined most of the internals. Oh well, **it happens. Had Cottman transmissions rebuild it and everything seemed fine.

Well, all of a sudden, especially when the tranny was cold, I would start to get this slight hesitation followed by a VERY hard banging shift.
I took the car back to Cottman's and it turns out the piston in the 1 - 2 actuator had been reversed to soften the shiftkits shifting. The tranny guy said that this is a common trick tranny builders use to soften the shifting while keeping the clamping force. The problem is that the piston isn't designed to be reversed and it will wobble scoring the piston walls. After awhile the piston sticks and a lot of line pressure builds up to force the shift. Cottman installed an entire new unit (under warranty ) and now the car shifts great, just like a tranny with a shift kit should. The 1 - 2 shift IS hard but the car surges forward and chirps the tires now instead of banging.

I am happy.

But I thought that I should pass this info on. I asked if that could of been one of the reasons the tranny blew and Cottman said, "It would of contributed to it."
Take it from me, if you are making any amount of decent power on a regular basis on a 4l60e -- tire chirping shifts will blow the planetaries again -- I've been through 2 sets -- easy fix though, tell your tranny guy to take the washers that come with the trans-go kit out of the 1-2 accumulator, your 1-2 will not be as hard but atleast you won't break planet sets anymore. -- the longest I've had a planet set last has been less than 10k street miles. The least has been 1200 miles.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what planet set are you breaking?