Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

if your running with spohn solid engine mounts then GET IN HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default if your running with spohn solid engine mounts then GET IN HERE!

1st I would like to start by saying congratulations for bein a hardcore mothe f***er ! You love feeling that engine shake the s*** out of you with that nasty cam you installed! Is there anything better than that feeling?

2nd if you are against spohn solid engine mounts and think this is a debate about the mounts themselves then get the h*** out. We all bought them cause we are bada**s

3rd if you are going to post flaming me to do a search then go somewhere else! Find something else to do with your time!

Now that we got all of those people out of here ........ what im trying to decide is whether or not I need a poly trans mount or to stick with my oem rubber trans mount so heres what I need from you.

-Your opinion on the 2 tranmission mount options
-is your car a street or strip car or both
-most importantly, which one you actually have on your car
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowbird780
1st I would like to start by saying congratulations for bein a hardcore mothe f***er ! You love feeling that engine shake the s*** out of you with that nasty cam you installed! Is there anything better than that feeling?

2nd if you are against spohn solid engine mounts and think this is a debate about the mounts themselves then get the h*** out. We all bought them cause we are bada**s

3rd if you are going to post flaming me to do a search then go somewhere else! Find something else to do with your time!

Now that we got all of those people out of here ........ what im trying to decide is whether or not I need a poly trans mount or to stick with my oem rubber trans mount so heres what I need from you.

-Your opinion on the 2 tranmission mount options
-is your car a street or strip car or both
-most importantly, which one you actually have on your car
I have Spohn solids with a Prothane trans mount. When I was doing research on the soilds I found a lot of input saying that it is a must to upgrade the trans mount when you change the motor mounts and vice versa. My car is a street/strip car. I have about 30+ passes on this setup, I love it.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I installed a brand new oem rubber trans mount and my torque arm is relocated off my tail shaft with a poly mount on the torque arm. Car is 100% street. I only have vibration at a certain idle rpm. Makes one panel rattle a little bit otherwise its smooth as glass. If I fix the panel rattle you probably wouldn't even be able to tell I have solid motor mounts.

My rear end with aftermarket LCA's however sound like its about to fall apart every time I hit a bump.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You added solid engine mounts and love it and you are wondering if you should go rubber or poly transmission mount?

I've got poly engine and transmission mounts. I wouldnt say I have vibration... I just hear my engine. It's not a luxury car. It's a monster and I like it that way.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sell the car. You are fucked now.......
Old 01-28-2013, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Only replies wanted are those actually using solid spohn engine mounts, please read before you post
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know these recommendations for tranny mounts as well. I just installed the Spohn solids along with my new 408 and have only driven it to the muffler shop and then straight in to the tuner. I love it loud and don't mind it shakin me up a bit. Turns heads and gets me dumbs up at red lights from people!

Street/strip car here!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by conde'strans
I'd like to know these recommendations for tranny mounts as well. I just installed the Spohn solids along with my new 408 and have only driven it to the muffler shop and then straight in to the tuner. I love it loud and don't mind it shakin me up a bit. Turns heads and gets me dumbs up at red lights from people!

Street/strip car here!
Ya what companies recommend and what works best for our cars doesnt always match up so I wanna know what people are actually running
Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With solid motor mounts you should use a torque arm relocation crossmember. You don't want the torque arm flexing the tailshaft up against solid motor mounts. As far as the trans mount bushing goes that is purely personal preference whether or not to use poly or rubber. I have to say though with a rubber trans mount you really cant even tell you have solid motor mounts.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Banned

in the process of installing spohn mounts... hope i like them. im looking into tq arm relo off tail as well.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So what's next, solid tranny mounts?

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-29-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Launching!

I dont have solid engine mounts, But I do have a set of poly-mounts that I fabricated for the engine and a poly mount for trans.

My thought is this... if the engine is solidly mounted, then I would want as solid a trans mount as possible. The more flex there is, the greater sheering forces act on the mount fasteners.

Thats my 2 cents, anyway.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

and... If you solid mount your engine and trans you WILL end up with a broken trans case, usually the bellhousing. Solid engine mounts are fine, but the trans has to be mounted in poly or oem rubber.

MWC has the best deal on solid engine mounts if anyone is looking for them. They are a direct replacement for the mount that bolts to the block and can be used with anyone's k-member. No holes to slot, no misalignment from k-member to engine or additional stress to the block from misalignment.

http://midwestchassis.com/solid-motor-mounts.html

Quick Reply: if your running with spohn solid engine mounts then GET IN HERE!