Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch install gone wrong somehow

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch install gone wrong somehow

hey guys, I decided to install my own clutch in my 2000 Z 28 and it took me 2 days to do and I got it all done but now that its back together I hear a very loud rattling noise coming from my shifter above 40mph and including when not in gear at that speed and higher so I took all the center console pieces out down to the shifter itself and the noise is definitely coming from the transmission.and I noticed when I was backing out of my driveway I had a solid line of clutch fluid down the driveway when I backed the car out so I think I may have done something wrong with the slave cylinder im gonna take some of it back apart to find out what is rattling but im pretty sure I busted the slave also. Can someone tell me the proper way to bleed it so I dont bust another next time?

Last edited by Silver_Bullet_Z28; 01-28-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Anyone know how to bleed a slave?...anyone?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Did you make sure to tighten the pressure plate and flywheel bolts in the correct sequence and torque down evenly to spec? If it took you that long then I'm sensing a bit of inexperience, did you remember to fill the tranny with fluid?

These may seem like silly questions but I have seen your described issues arise from these two things being overlooked. Especially if it is your first time and you just want to get the hell out from under your car and get on with life.

If you look in the stickies on the top of this section there is a wealth of info concerning bleeding the hydraulics. You should give them a read if you haven't already.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Everything was torqued to spec and I never lost any tranny fluid so I didn't put any in but I'll go search through the sticky
Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Did you reuse your old parts like the slave, throwout bearing or pilot bearing? Did you put in a stock clutch?

Easiest way to bleed a clutch is to put a remote speed bleeder with a check valve on it. Open the check valve, pump pedal, fill fluid, repeat until free of air, close valve and top off fluid.

Did you ever press the clutch pedal or actuate the slave before everything was hooked up? How does it shift while not moving or off?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Act street performance HDSS clutch kit with brand new slave, throw out, pilot, and rear main seal. I tried bleeding the slave with it hooked to the master cylinder line dangling and was pumping clutch when told to (had a couple guys that had installed a few clutches before helping me) and the slave popped apart and we put it back together and feels like it drives fine though....but I think I may have figured out the rattling... I took all the center console pieces out of the way down to the shifter to where I can see the ground and I noticed that the top torque arm bolt isn't tightened up and the bolt is about to fall out. So that is likely the rattling but is a slave still ok if it comes apart or is it never supposed to come apart? Is there some kind of seal that breaks when it comes apart?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

They're not supposed to come apart, but if they do they can be put back together with some care. I'm a little concerned about the trail of fluid on the driveway.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

You should bleed the clutch with slave installed.

Refer to this method...

Always check make sure reservoir full at all times.

Slave installed and trans bolted up. Connect master line to slave.

With bleeder valve closed, push and apply slight pressure on clutch pedal with foot or hand. Open bleeder valve and push clutch pedal all the way down and hold down, close valve immediately and wait a couple seconds and bring pedal back up, possible by hand because it will prob stay down.

Repeat this method til clutch pedal feels good. It might take a long while.

As far as the rattling, not sure the torque arm would make a rattle sound, maybe shake but not rattle as it sits in its rubber bushing. Tighten it up and check. When you removed the shifter, did you check if the little cup thing was in there. Sometimes they break or fall out or pull out with the shifter rod thing.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cbbass123
You should bleed the clutch with slave installed.

Refer to this method...

Always check make sure reservoir full at all times.

Slave installed and trans bolted up. Connect master line to slave.

With bleeder valve closed, push and apply slight pressure on clutch pedal with foot or hand. Open bleeder valve and push clutch pedal all the way down and hold down, close valve immediately and wait a couple seconds and bring pedal back up, possible by hand because it will prob stay down.

Repeat this method til clutch pedal feels good. It might take a long while.

As far as the rattling, not sure the torque arm would make a rattle sound, maybe shake but not rattle as it sits in its rubber bushing. Tighten it up and check. When you removed the shifter, did you check if the little cup thing was in there. Sometimes they break or fall out or pull out with the shifter rod thing.
Cup thing in the shifter? Idk if it is there or not but if it isn't where do I get another one? I'll have to check after work tomorrow
Old 02-01-2013, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Ok, the plastic cup thing in the transmission is still there when i took the shifter out so the only thing I can think of is that loose torque arm bolt that I can find so far so im about to try that next
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Ok so I torqued the torque arm bolt and made the rattling stop but then the whole car vibrates at 50mph and gets scary at 65mph....forgot to put the c clips back in the driveshaft and it about fell out of the car -_- thank you all for the responses and having to put up with me lol and this has been a lesson well learned

Quick Reply: clutch install gone wrong somehow