General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Right Blinker Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Right Blinker Problem

I got in my car this morning and when I put my right blinker on the lights and the dashboard arrow would stay lit and not blink. The left blinker works fine and when I put the hazard lights on both sides blink normally. Any idea what this could be?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check both front and rear lights to make sure they are blinking properly? Sounds like a bulb is out
Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

The lights are going on. They turn on and stay solid instead of blinking.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The DRL/parking lamp/turn signal light bulbs have two filaments... one of them is burnt out.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replace the bulb and check the housing to make sure its not corroded. I had the exact same problem not too long ago.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
The left blinker works fine and when I put the hazard lights on both sides blink normally. Any idea what this could be?
If the hazards work normally, then the bulbs are fine. Its just a bad flasher.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
If the hazards work normally, then the bulbs are fine. Its just a bad flasher.
According to the faq at the top of this section both sides wouldn't be working properly if it was a bad flasher though.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Save the manuals!

Thanks for reading the stickies and bringing this to our attention!

The sticky is not correct on that point and doesn't include all of the failure modes of the turn signals.

We've had lots of threads on this lately and its also happened multiple times on my car. The catch is that no one posts back after they fix the problem.

If the hazards work and one turn signal does not, the turn signal flasher must be the component not activating. All other components are common to both systems: bulb, wires, socket, DRL module. There are a few wires that could also be the culprit but that would be really rare.

The thermal flasher is activated by the current flowing through the module. Thomas Edison would be proud: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal2.htm Since the wiring is different on both sides of the car, each side has a slightly different resistance, which causes the current draw to differ. This can then expose a gimpy burning out flasher.

Another contributor could be the bulbs. If you have different brands/models of bulbs between the left/right, that can also cause the draw to be different. A 100% strong flasher shouldn't care, though.

Once you replace the flasher, please reply back and we'll get VP1 to update the sticky post if that gets you going. If you don't feel comfortable doing that yet you can also switch the bulbs from left to right and see what happens. (That won't prove that the flasher is good or bad, but would point to the bulbs being different - depending on what happens.)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Same thing happened to me last week on my TA it was water in the housing. I just took it all apart and dried it then sealed all seams with RTV. No problems since, but it's only been about 5 days.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

So I changed the flasher and the blinkers are working. The DRL, blinker or hazards aren't working in front passenger light in the dual filament bulb with the old flasher, new flasher, or hazard flasher that I tried switching over. Looks like I just need to replace that bulb to have everything back in order. The flasher definitely fixed my initial problem though. Thanks for the help, guys.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
The flasher definitely fixed my initial problem though.
Was the initial problem just the lights in the dash? When you said the lights were working properly with the hazards on, I assumed you meant the physical ones outside the car!

Did you put in an electronic flasher?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Was the initial problem just the lights in the dash? When you said the lights were working properly with the hazards on, I assumed you meant the physical ones outside the car!

Did you put in an electronic flasher?
Both the dash and the outside lights weren't blinking when I put the turn signals on, they would all just light up and stay solid. When I put the hazards on the dash and outside lights flashed properly. I did put on an electronic flasher and the turn signals work normally now.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Weird. If the bulb was on before and then off after the flasher change, the bulb must have blown right at the change?

BTW - the electronic flasher will blink even when your bulbs are out, unlike the thermal one, which will not flash.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Weird. If the bulb was on before and then off after the flasher change, the bulb must have blown right at the change?

BTW - the electronic flasher will blink even when your bulbs are out, unlike the thermal one, which will not flash.
Well I don't know if that front bulb was out before hand and I just didn't notice until I changed the flasher and checked all four corners.

That's good to know about the electronic flasher.

Quick Reply: Right Blinker Problem