General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Mobil 1 oil EP with Lucas heavy duty oil Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mobil 1 oil EP with Lucas heavy duty oil Stabilizer

I own a 2000 Camaro Z28 with a LS1 engine, I recently changed my oil and been using Mobile 1. 5-30. But this time I used 1 quart of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer, I added 4 quarts of mobile 1 and 1 quart of the Lucas will this hurt my motor in anyway I heard it helps the motor in different ways. Thanks
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Personally, I would not use it.

Some people like this stuff, but I see no need for this additive.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Only time I have heard people using an additive is when they have aftermarket valvetrain.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 AM

Thanks for your replys, Im going to change it pretty soon. and stay away from this stuff. also is it ok to use the Synthetic oil in the LS1 with it having high miles? I hear not to use synthetic in older engines ?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

You should be fine by running synthetic. Most people on here do including myself. I have always heard to stay away from royal purple. Do a search on here and there are tons of oil threads.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28HG
Synthetic oil in the LS1 with it having high miles? I hear not to use synthetic in older engines ?
Synthetic is fine to use at any mileage. One of mine has 104k on it, and I've been using synthetic in it for years.

Synthetic is a better lubricant, and will find it's way through places that conventional oil may not have, and/or clean sludge away from areas that the conventional oil may not have. The end result is that sometimes engines with old, weeping gaskets will begin to weep a little more when switching to synthetic. That's about the only issue I could ever see developing from a switch to synthetic in an old engine.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28HG
...I used 1 quart of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer, I added 4 quarts of mobile 1 and 1 quart of the Lucas will this hurt my motor in anyway I heard it helps the motor in different ways. Thanks
I wouldn't use Lucas oil stabilizer period. Click the link to find out why. Aeration of your lubricating oil is not a good thing regardless of what engine or car you drive.

I've used Mobil 1 10W-30 in my LS6 for over 98K miles w/o any problems. I used Mobil 1 10W-30 in my L98 Corvette for 261K miles w/o problems although that engine did burn a quart of oil every 5K miles at the end. You shouldn't have any problems running Mobil 1 5-30 in your LS1.

Just keep the Lucas oil stabilizer out of whatever you use.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Change to mobil 1 0W 40 european forumla. It meets european standards and is better than us formula
Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 PM

The only time I have ever used the Lucas Oil Synth. Oil Stabilizer was when a friend of mine had some engine noise issues that did not sound serious but did not sound right. I put some in till his next oil change, It got rid of the "odd noise" then had him switch to a different oil and weight now there are no issues at all. I doubt that it would really hurt your engine but if you are using a full synth. oil that should really be all you need for everyday driving. The only additive I am currently using is that ZMax micro lubricant that does not "Add" (Because it is absorbed) to your oil level. I don't like mixing two different "Oil Based" products together very much.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Lucas increases the viscosity of the oil making it thicker. This creates an increase in oil pressure, which as said before will agitate worn seals. Pistons and bearings run on such small space tolerances and need constant lubrication in these tight spots, Lucas will decrease the ability of the oil to get in between metals. Just something to keep in mind when selecting additives and oil weights. Synthetics will dissipate heat and undergo much less thermal breakdown and sludging. All LS motors should use Synthetics especially if running at higher RPMS.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 oil EP with Lucas heavy duty oil Stabilizer