LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Head gasket and bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Head gasket and bolts

I have a question regarding which head gasket and bolts, I have a LT1 that was recently rebuilt (0 miles) I was now considering adding a TT setup, the ending even tho it has forged internals, was rebuilt using the stock Felpro head gaskets and replacement stock style bolts, but I have observed from most my research most engines running turbos are running ARP head bolts and Cosmetic head gaskets, how essential is the use of these parts should I consider opening up a new engine to upgrade these parts?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Was this engine built for boot or to be N/A?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The engine should be torque plate honed with the fasteners it will be run with. ARP headbolts likely require a different torque than the stock style bolts which will distort the block differently when the heads are bolted down.

The only way I would run the Felpro gasket is if the block was at least zero decked, even with a zero deck the quench with the Felpros is not good.
Far as Cometic ask your machinist what the surface finish on the block and heads is, if he can't answer then it may well be wrong and if he does answer then compare that to the finish Cometic calls for.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The engine should be torque plate honed with the fasteners it will be run with. ARP headbolts likely require a different torque than the stock style bolts which will distort the block differently when the heads are bolted down.

The only way I would run the Felpro gasket is if the block was at least zero decked, even with a zero deck the quench with the Felpros is not good.
Far as Cometic ask your machinist what the surface finish on the block and heads is, if he can't answer then it may well be wrong and if he does answer then compare that to the finish Cometic calls for.

Engine was built to be N/A, was bored with torque plate the block was not decked
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Depending on the piston in it you wont be able to throw much boost at it if it was built to be N/A due to your compression ratio. What is the compression ratio on this engine.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP -

Speaking from experience, stock type Felpros will not hold.

Get a set of Mr. Gasket MLS head gaskets ($80 / per side) and some ARP head studs (or ARP bolts) - torque'd to 75-80 ft lbs, and you'll be fine.

You can try and get away with cheaper 'solutions' but in all likelihood, they will not survive boost levels above 4 psi - ask me how I know....

(Also, remember to have the heads surfaced before re-installation.)

Good Luck - Have FUN!

Quick Reply: Head gasket and bolts