Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Fluid

I have owned my car since 2007, and prior to that it had maintance done whenever it was scheduled(it was a dealer's personal car). The one thing I just realized is that i have never done the brake fluid. I was having the past 2 years abs/tcs/brake lights on, i replaced my brake module and that fixed it. But the brake pedal started feeling really squishy and then my ABS and TCS lights came on.

Could it be time to flush my brake fluid? Could fluid that is 6+ years old becausing my abs lights?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not sure if the fluid would have an effect on ABS or TCS.. someone else could chime in on that.

That being said... YES! It's time to change your brake fluid! That's for sure. I change mine every year or two years.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Yeah i figured it was time, but i cant for the life of me find out what caused my ABS INOP and ASR OFF lights to come on...

The fluid was somewhat low so i put some in ...but i know it needs to be changed just wondering if it could cause the lights.

Originially i had the 3 lights(ABS INOP, BRAKE and ASR OFF) but after replacing my abs module it is only two lights... im lost
Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Changing the brake fluid every year or so is a very good idea. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, it attracts and holds water. And since the brake system does not cycle fluid back around to the reservoir, the stuff near and in the calipers that does all the work gets contaminated. This can cause pedal fade, lowers the boiling point of your fluid and can corrode the inside of the calipers.

You can just bleed the tired stuff out of your calipers every once in awhile to move fresh fluid through them, or you can change all the fluid in the entire system.

A great tool to have for this is a Mityvac. It is a pistol grip hand pump that you put on your bleeder and suck fluid through the system. This way you can bleed your own brakes without anybody's help and no pumping the brake pedal. You can get one for about $40. Every garage should have one.

I do a yearly replacement of all the brake fluid. One year I will buy DOT 4 blue fluid and pump it out until the new blue color comes through, the next year I will do the same thing with DOT 4 amber color fluid. The color change makes it easy to see when I am getting new fluid.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid