Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

'flavor of the month' for shifters??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 'flavor of the month' for shifters??

What is everyone's current fave as far as aftermarket, short throw, 4th gen f body, T56 shifters go (and WHY)??

I have had a Pro 5.0 in this car since day one of order delivery (I had it WAITING for install a month BEFORE I even had the car!!).
Are they still even in business? They were headquartered in the next town over from me, and I drove there in my old car to pick mine up, but now the store front is empty, with "for rent" signs in the window, and they do not answer the phone, and there is NO forwarding number given on the disconected message.

Anyway, I am told by all of the road race peeps that the B&M is a MUCH better shifter for those uses, as it is much less 'notchy', and the action is more positive, than the Pro 5.0.

I know everyone is going to say that they would go with the 5.0 because they can either replace the handle with a very short stick, or cut down the 5.0's to nothing, but I do NOT want to have to reach down into the console to shift like some on here who do that for 'looks', and would rather have the leverage, and the shifter closer to the wheel anyway (the way road racers and rally drivers who have their floor mounted sequential shifters VERY high up, within inches of the wheel).

How does the 'action' of the Hurst aftermarket (vs. the Hurst factory option) compare to the B&M??
Has anyone had BOTH?

What about the new MCWs, or others?

Thanks in advance,

Dave H.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive had a factory hurst, pro 5 and now the mgw. My factory hurst was sloppy, missed gears. The pro 5 was noisy and still could miss a gear. The mgw is quiet and shifts great.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pro 5.0 FTW!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i've had several.....MGW owns them all
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MGW > *

I had stock. It was alright. I then had stock with a Lou's short shifter. Very short, shorted than the MGW, but feel was the same otherwise. MGW you know exactly what gear you are going into it is precise, and built for slamming the gears. I love it. I have a Pro 5.0 in the Rustang, and even though it's making less than half the HP my car does, it doesn't feel that great (as in nothing special), even slamming gears.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Hurst and ws6 store short stick for me. I like it. I have driven my friend's car with a 5.0 and felt it was super notchy. It was almost too mechanical feeling for me. I literally could feel the synchros working in my hand. A good **** makes a world of difference too. I had a hurst big red ball shift **** for a long time and then switched to the leather wrapped SLP **** and it was a million times better. I had a pistol grip shifter for a bit and it sucked big time. I couldn't even shift gears with it. Now I have the stock **** again and wish I had the SLP **** still.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

THANKS ALL!

Those with the MGW;

Does it really have a lot of pinch clamp fittings/allen bolts to get the handle into place for our cars, and to attach the handle to the shifter base??

That was my ONLY reservation about it, that it looked too weak, or had WAY too many junctions between the shift **** and the shaft that goes into the shift rail (more than ANY other shifter on the market).
Also the offset of the handle did not look like it was condusive to MULTIPLE/CONTINUOUS shifting, as in road racing/open tracking (this is NOT a nice weekend, garage queen, drag race ONLY car like most on here).
Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had the b&m hurst and felt a car with the 5.0. The MGW i have now is by far the best. The way the stick is connected makes no difference in feeling in the way it shifts and it certainly doesnt feel weak. The b&m was nice but to me always felt a little notchy, the 5.0 i drove was short but was very notchy and the stock hurst just felt mushy.

The mgw shifts are very short and precise the offset does take a little getting used to as 1st is now where 3rd almost used to be but after about 2 hours of driving you're used to it. As far as missing shifts go the mgw is a very friendly shifter 1-2nd is super precise and quick 2-3 is just a slap of the shifter in that direction and the strong centering spring will find the 3rd gate on their own. By far the best shifter for the t56
Old 02-02-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for MGW. Putting that thing in has made driving so much more fun. It did take some getting used to but I love it.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Teching In

I love my MGW. i had an ebay B&M knockoff and it was better than stock but fit like crap and would still miss a shift now and then. I havent missed a shift yet with my MGW.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

I was gonna buy a mgw when I found out the previous owner had a b&m installed. Now I don't know if I should still get the mgw.

So far it shifts great but I don't have anything to compare it to.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

I just installed my new MGW today and took out my pro 5.0 I love this thing! It is so much better quality than the pro 5.0
Old 02-03-2013, 04:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

MGW all the way and don't look back. Spend your money once and spend it right.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Another MGW lover here. I haven't tried any other aftermarket shifter as I went from the stocker to the MGW, but I definitely won't be trying anything else.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Zlow28
I was gonna buy a mgw when I found out the previous owner had a b&m installed. Now I don't know if I should still get the mgw.

So far it shifts great but I don't have anything to compare it to.
My advice: before dropping the $$ on the MGW, see if you can try one in person first. I've had both, and both had their good points. The B&M had longer throws, but was easier to get into gear. The MGW had really short throws (mainly side-to-side), but was a little more difficult to actually get into gear.

Shifters are so subjective...I'll never buy another aftermarket shifter for any car I drive without trying it out in person first.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Launching!

I like my mgw but it will need some getting used to. The shifter is so tight. Takes some getting used coming from a stock shifter especially in city driving. I only have about 25 miles since installed. Does it loosten up?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by trans damm
I like my mgw but it will need some getting used to. The shifter is so tight. Takes some getting used coming from a stock shifter especially in city driving. I only have about 25 miles since installed. Does it loosten up?
It'll loosen up a little, but not much...that's the trade-off with the MGW. Shorter throws = less leverage = tighter shifter. Some like it, others, not so much.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
My advice: before dropping the $$ on the MGW, see if you can try one in person first. I've had both, and both had their good points. The B&M had longer throws, but was easier to get into gear. The MGW had really short throws (mainly side-to-side), but was a little more difficult to actually get into gear.

Shifters are so subjective...I'll never buy another aftermarket shifter for any car I drive without trying it out in person first.
Thanks for the tip. The thing is lsx vehicles are so rare where I live, I doubt anyone here has a mgw shifter.

I'm thinking about just sticking with the b&m for now and maybe switching over down the road if I find a good deal on one.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a Pro 5.0 for at least 9yrs(it wore out), then replaced it with a Hurst BilletPlus which so far I like better.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trans damm
It was really tight the first few hundred miles. I can definitely tell a difference now. It will loosen up for you.

Quick Reply: 'flavor of the month' for shifters??