Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1998 Z28 Dash Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Z28 Dash Light

Hey ls1tech!

This is my first post here, I bought my 98 z28 hardtop about than a month ago at 79600 miles, it now has just over 80600. As it is my first real car (the other being a front wheel drive intrepid), it has been a learning experience simply to drive, as well as great fun. Earlier this evening, due to soaking wet, slightly icy weather, the car began to fishtail, as I have learned from the owners manual, as well as a few overzealous wet turns, the traction control kicks in, the engine revs cut, and I suppose the rear end locks up in order to regain control.

Frightened by my momentary loss of control, I headed to my schools parking lot (very large and empty), turned off the traction control and made the car fishtail, trying to learn to recover control. But I happened to spin the car, with the low trac light coming on, and two or three spins later, coming to a dead stop, the engine shut off, displaying a check gauges light, and the service engine soon light. I turned the key to the off position, and tried to start the car. It would not start, displaying the same lights. So I tried this a few times, and noticed that the transmission was in drive. I then proceeded to shift into park, turned her on, and she started right up, the lights completely gone.

My question is, is this normal for the lights to come on in extreme spins, even with the traction control off, or is there something wrong with my car? We just had it inspected and the only issues it has is an interior piece of door panel trim(the handle/armrest piece around the window mirror switch) is cracked, and some minor flaking on the inside of the wheels, nothing drivetrain wise was reported, and it runs like a top elsewise.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...how much gas was in it?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Half a tank. 139 miles on trip counter since last fill up.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Don't worry man you're car cluster just flipped out for a second when traction kicked in. As for the engine cutting, it's cold out your idle might not be perfect depending on what's done to the car and it just shut off because it didn't catch itself in time. Your car will not start if it's in drive when it's off. If all the lights are off now you're fine, don't panic bud.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:05 AM
Teching In

Car is bone stock at the moment. I still owe my parents about 500 bucks as they fronted the tax, title, tags, etc. Once I pay them back im planning to fix the interior trim panel that's cracked, repair the crack in the drivers seat, do the berger panel in semi gloss, put in a magnaflow 12207 muffler only (I like the square tips), and also SLP intake. Once it dries up, I'll be sure to post pictures in the thread after I take it to the self service wash, polish the wheels, and maybe give it a wax.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

...the engine shut off, displaying a check gauges light, and the service engine soon light...
It's normal for dash lights such as these to come on when the engine dies while the car is still in gear and the key is in the run position. Nothing abnormal about that at all.

And the Low Trac light can sometimes come on even when the traction control is turned off. I have seen that under certain conditions as well, no big deal there either.

So I don't think you have anything to worry about in these regards.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I was looking at MY rpo codes, and found some interesting options.

A61-Power Driver Seat
AKS-Inflatable restraint system Driver/Passenger (Airbags)
AR9-Front buckets, deluxe european style
AV0-remote entry
AV3-passenger electric lock
A31-power mirrors
A90-remote hatch unlock
B35-rear floormats
B84-B/S molding, exterior (Whats this?)
C49-rear defrost (I have to solder the connector back on)
C60-HVAC man controlled-Air conditioning
D67-Electric mirrors
FE2-Ride and handling suspension (Is that the comfort one?)
FE9-federal emissions
GU5-3.23 rear axle(Is this the best one for the automatics?)
G80-positraction(My favorite little piece)
IP2-leather trim
J65-Power front/rear discs
K34-cruise control, automatic(Cant figure the thing out though)
K43-102 amp generator
LS1-Engine gas 5.7L, mfi aluminum
MXO-Overdrive on trans
M30-4spd auto
NF2-dual exhaust(Is this true dual?, or the single 3 in dual 2.5 out?)
NP5-leather wrapped steering wheel
NW9-electronic traction control
N98-wheel 16x8 cast aluminum chrome
QF2-tire all p245/50r17-93W bwhw4
R7A-Control sales item no 26(read this was an slp item)
R9U-control system no ?(SLP?)
R9Z-ol sales item no 95(SLP as well?)

STE-saint therese factory-canada
T82-automatic on/off headlamps
T96-foglamps
UAG-theft deterrent system
UB3-cluster, instrument, oil cool temp, volts, trip, odom, tach
UNO-radio, am/fm/stereo seek/scan cd, auto tone, clock
UZ7-8 speaker system, quad front door, dual side, dual hatch amp
U73-antenna, fixed radio
VK3-liscense plate front mounting
VM3-5mph impact bumpers
V73-usa canada statement(Whats this?)
1A2-custom order?
1SG-custom order?
1SZ-Discount option package(I presume this means the control sales items above were purchased as a package)
Z28-Z28 package
10Q-Arctic white molding color(Side?)
10U-Primary Color exterior arctic white
14I-interior trim-very dark grey
142-trim combination-leather very dark grey camaro/firebird(Does this mean I have ebony or charcoal trim pieces?)

62L-component front left hand computer select suspension
7ZL-component front right hand computer select suspension
8TH-rear springs
9TH-rear springs
Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

There are no SLP items of any kind on a Z28 from the factory.

No stock 4th gen exhaust is true dual. And your Z28 would have originally come with a 2.75" I-pipe and 2.25" tail pipes.

Your '98 interior color is Dark Gray. Ebony replaced Dark Gray in '00 and was not available before then.

B84 = body side moldings (these run along the doors and a bit before and after).

GU5 (3.23 gear) was the factory "performance" axle ratio for the automatics.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-31-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There are no SLP items of any kind on a Z28 from the factory.

No stock 4th gen exhaust is true dual. And your Z28 would have originally come with a 2.75" I-pipe and 2.25" tail pipes.

Your '98 interior color is Dark Gray. Ebony replaced Dark Gray in '00 and was not available before then.

B84 = body side moldings (these run along the doors and a bit before and after).

GU5 (3.23 gear) was the factory "performance" axle ratio for the automatics.
Ok, thank you kind sir. I feel somewhat stupid regarding the SLP thing. <<New to Cars.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by jericz28
Ok, thank you kind sir. I feel somewhat stupid regarding the SLP thing. <<New to Cars.
Glad to help.

And there is no need to feel stupid. Nobody is born knowing any of this stuff, it's always a work in progress!

For your future reference, the only '98+ F-bodies that SLP had anything to do with were the SSs and Firehawks. An SS would have the RPO code WU8, and a Firehawk would have WU6. If one of those two codes is not present on an LS1 4th gen, then the car never would have been seen or touched by SLP.

SLP was not even involved with the WS6 cars for the '98+ years. Those were a product of ASC.

Hope you find that information useful.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Glad to help.

And there is no need to feel stupid. Nobody is born knowing any of this stuff, it's always a work in progress!

For your future reference, the only '98+ F-bodies that SLP had anything to do with were the SSs and Firehawks. An SS would have the RPO code WU8, and a Firehawk would have WU6. If one of those two codes is not present on an LS1 4th gen, then the car never would have been seen or touched by SLP.

SLP was not even involved with the WS6 cars for the '98+ years. Those were a product of ASC.

Hope you find that information useful.
Thank you! Im planning on getting an SLP airbox lid a month or two down the line, but right now I have to remove what little rust is on the car- there is a bit of surface rust in the engine bay (on ground wires, I believe) and a little bit bubbling through the paint, and a light dusting on those sort of parts, most of the engine bay is perfect though, so im going to get some rust converter or something.

Also... Im getting like 15 miles per gallon in the overdrive trans setting, driving gingerly. I understand that my gas mileage wont be good by any means, but any ideas?

Last edited by jericz28; 02-01-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by jericz28
Also... Im getting like 15 miles per gallon in the overdrive trans setting, driving gingerly. I understand that my gas mileage wont be good by any means, but any ideas?
Is this 15mpg with city traffic and stop lights? I think 16-17 is about the best you'd ever see with a stock A4/3.23 combo and crowded city driving conditions. Mixed city/highway should be more like 18-20, and pure highway should be mid-20s. Cold weather and oxygenated fuel will reduce all those numbers as well.

I don't know how many miles are on your car, but it couldn't hurt to go through all the basics; such as new plugs, air filter, MAF cleaning (an important step that many people overlook), new fuel filter, and a quality injector cleaner (I like Red Line SI-1 myself).

If the car has very high miles, you might find some MPG increase by replacing the front O2 sensors as well. Even if you are not seeing any codes for bad O2s, they may not be operating at the peak of efficiency if they have a ton of mileage on them.

If the car generally seems to run and drive well, then addressing all the above things won't make a ton of difference, but might get you a 1-2mpg increase.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Is this 15mpg with city traffic and stop lights? I think 16-17 is about the best you'd ever see with a stock A4/3.23 combo and crowded city driving conditions. Mixed city/highway should be more like 18-20, and pure highway should be mid-20s. Cold weather and oxygenated fuel will reduce all those numbers as well.

I don't know how many miles are on your car, but it couldn't hurt to go through all the basics; such as new plugs, air filter, MAF cleaning (an important step that many people overlook), new fuel filter, and a quality injector cleaner (I like Red Line SI-1 myself).

If the car has very high miles, you might find some MPG increase by replacing the front O2 sensors as well. Even if you are not seeing any codes for bad O2s, they may not be operating at the peak of efficiency if they have a ton of mileage on them.

If the car generally seems to run and drive well, then addressing all the above things won't make a ton of difference, but might get you a 1-2mpg increase.
The car has 80,600 miles. The only real rust on the car apart for a little bit of surface rust inside the wheels, is inside the engine bay on those ground wire bolts, and some forming surface rust on the large bars(frame rails?), where they meet the mountings that ultimately support the airbox lid. Ill get pics after work tonight if I can.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

I think the US/Canada statement means the car was built in Canada and imported to the US.

Quick Reply: 1998 Z28 Dash Light