Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Want to go turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Want to go turbo

Alright guys I really want to have a turbo 4th gen. Currently my mods are in my sig but I want a turbo pretty badly. Is there anything that I should be worrysome about?

I'd like to sell my TFS heads and try maybe some ported 317's to get my compression down. I could sell most of my high compression NA stuff and go with a turbo kit. I'm currently @ 11.4 to 1 compression. My cam has to go obviously. Any good ideas on a camshaft?

Is there any junkyard shortblocks that can be had for cheap that will handle the boost better than a ls1? And what are the weak points on the 5.3 or 6.0? I know the pistons arent forged so could a guy throw some forged pistons in there and go to town? I bet the rods are pretty weak too.

Any advice for me on this conquest would be much appreciated. I'd like to get into the 600rwhp range or greater.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

give us a call! we can get you boosted!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you do any searches? if you want to DD the car at 600+rwhp i would throw forged rods and pistons in your current block. you should be able to pay for the bottom end, 317 heads, and ls6 intake by selling your current stuff. no need for a FAST 102. I would make sure that you find someone knowledgeable with specing turbos/cams for 6spd cars so you dont lose too much boost between shifts. Then you have to decide if you want a custom kit or one like the Modular turbo kit (doesnt require anything with the radiator or even the alternator i dont think). Make sure that you have the fuel system to back it up and a clutch/rear that can take it and you'll be good to go.

This is what I've gathered from doing lots of research, maybe someone with first hand experience will speak up. This section is my home page so i look at every build and see what i like about it and what the experienced people have to say about it.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM
9 Second Club

The car isnt my DD so I can tear it apart now and start selling stuff. Currently I have a 255lph in tank. Would a 340lph tank suffice or should I go with a dual 255 setup? If i go forged bottom end I could make a lot more power so whats a good fuel setup for 700rwhp? I was crunching numbers and with all the stuff I have i can definitely build the bottom end with some new rods and pistons.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The cheap route would be a 05-07 L33 alum block 5.3. Has the good floater rods, flat top pistons with 9.9 compression, good 799 heads. Add head studs or just bolts, and a custom spec cam from someone like LilJohn on here. Add your turbo kit and go!

You could also add piston and rods to your current engine and keep the good heads and have a little bit more insurance on the bottom end but its really not needed at 600w.

Do twin Deutchworks 300's in the tank.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 AM
9 Second Club

I'm trying to figure out my compression ratio if I kept the trick flow heads and put them onto an L33. Does anyone knows the specs for that motor for a compression ratio with a 61cc chamber?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 PM
9 Second Club

Would a GT45 turbo be good for the ls1? I plan on putting good pistons and rods in it.

Quick Reply: Want to go turbo