Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my Vega swap sh*t storm

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my Vega swap sh*t storm

I was almost ready to install my LS1 and just had that feeling.. So I tried to spin it by hand and it wouldn't budge. I pulled the heads and the cylinders were full of a rust slurry..

So, I have a MSD 6LS, Edelbrock Victor Jr, Holley 750, H3 pan and a 230/224 .575/.563 111 lsa cam and PRC .650 lift springs. The 241s seem to be ok and the cam is still fine. Pistons may be salvageable but there is no way .005 is gonna clean up the sleeves in the cylinders. So, here's my question. If you had the option, would you..
Q
A. Buy another short block

B. Resleeve the current block

C. Buy an LQ4/9 and say the hell with an aluminum block.

I will be rebuilding all 3 options with new rings and bearings etc.

Also, if I buy a 6.0, will this cam work well or is it gonna get lost in the extra cubes?

And because I know everyone loves pictures..

That's one of the nicer cylinders..

Here's the nasty..

Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

I would have the machine shop look at that block and see if it is salvageable first before I bought another one. If you do have to go with another one I would say forget the aluminum block they are just not worth the extra cash and get a LQ4/9
Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you end up getting a new block and want to reuse that cam make sure they are compatible.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainstain
I was almost ready to install my LS1 and just had that feeling.. So I tried to spin it by hand and it wouldn't budge. I pulled the heads and the cylinders were full of a rust slurry..

So, I have a MSD 6LS, Edelbrock Victor Jr, Holley 750, H3 pan and a 230/224 .575/.563 111 lsa cam and PRC .650 lift springs. The 241s seem to be ok and the cam is still fine. Pistons may be salvageable but there is no way .005 is gonna clean up the sleeves in the cylinders. So, here's my question. If you had the option, would you..
Q
A. Buy another short block

B. Resleeve the current block

C. Buy an LQ4/9 and say the hell with an aluminum block.

I will be rebuilding all 3 options with new rings and bearings etc.

Also, if I buy a 6.0, will this cam work well or is it gonna get lost in the extra cubes?

And because I know everyone loves pictures..

That's one of the nicer cylinders..

Here's the nasty..
Hey! I remember you lol!!

My vote is pick up an iron block, they can be had dirt cheap.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

slip that stuff in a 5.3.. you wont notice a whole lot of bottom end loss if you have a big enough converter. They are pretty cheap
Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If you end up getting a new block and want to reuse that cam make sure they are compatible.
What wouldn't be compatible?

Originally Posted by C4 LS1
I would have the machine shop look at that block and see if it is salvageable first before I bought another one. If you do have to go with another one I would say forget the aluminum block they are just not worth the extra cash and get a LQ4/9
That's what I'm doing now. I'm dropping all the pistons and trying a home to see what I can get to clean up. Then if it's still pitted I'll see what the machine shop says.

Quick Reply: Help with my Vega swap sh*t storm