Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

WS6 crash - Need Your Help! "Suspension Damage"

Old 02-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WS6 crash - Need Your Help! "Suspension Damage"

My 02 WS6 TA got hit recently (and went up a curb in the process). Passenger side front; not head on, more like where the side turn signal is. Needs a fender, obviously and a rim.
They also tell me the upper rail needs repair/replacement. Don't know how that happened, but okay.

Latest thing now, is that there is some "suspension damage" and they can't get parts, so they want to total the car! (the wheels look pretty square to me, but what do I know)

I have done my best searching, but I can't find exactly what is so special that they couldn't just install new/aftermarket. Are they really looking for the exact 02 WS6 part or nothing at all?
What if it had been just the curb & no body damage? Would I be out a car because of that?

I know I don't have the specific parts to tell you about. I'm trying to get a revised estimate & parts list.

My actual question is this:
If I bought a same year Firebird "mechanic special", could they not use all the parts off that to at least get the TA back on the road?
If I have to get some special suspension later, so be it. I just want the car back for now.

thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ws6 is basically the same except for sway bars and wheels. Everything else is the same.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need to put it on a rack ,and have it bent back to specs.mite need a new K-member .
Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

I might have another k member
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

I got some details today.

R & L inner tie rods
R & L outer tie rods
Rt lower control arm - is this a performance part?
Also needs engine cradle - is this specific to this car?
(they had found a used one originally, but sent it back)

Also, one of the major issues is the radiator support. There is a small crack & a few wrinkles in it and that's what really jammed me up/put into 'totaled' status. They can't get one.

So, not so much a suspension issue as I thought. Looks like most of those parts are available.

As far as you know, are the other parts - specifically the radiator support - swappable from a base Bird?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The radiator support is the same for all 98-02 f-bodies. You could find a 6 cyl car in a wrecking yard with a good one and have it swapped over. As for the k-member, again any 98-02 v-8 k-member will work. Or fork over a bit of cash for a tubular one. Control arms are the same from 93-02. Tie rods are easily purchased at any of the parts stores near you. If you find a 6 cyl car you can get whatever you need off of it besides the k-member. It's really about letting the body shop know what you are willing to let them use. I would talk with insurance and see if they will let you find parts and reimburse you for them. It shouldn't be too much work.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^
I'm pretty sure we're talking about sheet metal here, not the plastic radiator shroud.

OP, since that is cracked, you'll also want to have the front horns checked for straightness and damage. Actually, I think the whole frame has to be inspected prior to getting a salvage title.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Not true. The WS6 radiator support is slightly different, so that opening in the front is a little larger than the stock F-body one. Granted you can use any radiator support if you just need to make it work, but if you want it to be the same part, a WS6 actually does have a different one.

Wrong

The rad support is the same from 98-02
What your talking about is the lower air lid base that is taller. The rad support goes from fender to fender and is what the lower lid base sits on
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotcha. My bad. I deleted the post.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 02-04-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

just let them give you the list of damage to the car, get the money, do it yourself. i'd do that if i were you besides always can upgrade if that's done
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

You guys are awesome - thanks for your support!

I knew this car had been hit long before I got it. Little tell tale signs.
I think this rad support is part of that, as well as the upper rail.
These two items cannot be "unseen" by the body shop, therefore they must be replaced. Not repaired, replaced.

I hit it low and from the side, near the turn signals. This damage is up much higher, though they say that's what the frame is made to do... absorb the shock. There is no way to say 100% that it was existing, or I did it.
Just looks like old wounds to me.
I am stuck with what they say. I can't fix it myself.

@AmDWs6 - that is what I have to do. I have to let the ins. co. pay me, then I can let the shop use whatever parts we find. Part of the problem was that they have to use parts from their supplier (I'm sure you've all heard of LKQ). For an ins. job, they will not use restoration/aftermarket nor will they buy off eBay or use a wreck. It has to be done by the book.

I just find it so hard to believe that the car is not safely drivable because of that crack & wrinkles on the rad. supp., and the dented fender rail. They'll have to remove the windshield and the dash to fix it!
Attached Thumbnails WS6 crash - Need Your Help! "Suspension Damage"-white-ws6.jpg   WS6 crash - Need Your Help! "Suspension Damage"-img_3381b.jpg   WS6 crash - Need Your Help! "Suspension Damage"-img_3464.jpg   WS6 crash - Need Your Help! "Suspension Damage"-img_3469b.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of that looks new because you can see old stuff (light surface rust) and new (freshly broken paint, no rust). You did indeed dent the support on the passenger side there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WS6 crash - Need Your Help! "Suspension Damage"