Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjustable upper A arms worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adjustable upper A arms worth it?

I'm about to get a set of upper and lowers. Is it worth the extra money to get the upper adjustable ones as opposed to the non-adjustables? Thanks for any advice and info.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drag race no road race yes
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Well I use the car for drag, road course and a street car during the summers. Anyone else have some advice?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
That's kind of what I'm thinking. Well I use the car for drag, road course and a street car during the summers. Anyone else have some advice?
I have both uppers and lowers. If I did it over again I would keep all factory. Save the money for other mods.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I would think that adjustable lowers would be more beneficial so you can adjust camber/caster.

Is there any adjustment on the top arm from the factory? I don't think I've ever aligned a 4th gen.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I would think that adjustable lowers would be more beneficial so you can adjust camber/caster.

Is there any adjustment on the top arm from the factory? I don't think I've ever aligned a 4th gen.
No adjustment on the upper arm
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did the whole tubular lower arm thing and the shock mount started buckling. Never again. I ended up getting spherical bushings installed in the stock arms to keep from splitting the bushings and give it better feel. That seems to be the way to go if you're having problem with poly/rubber bushings in the arms.
The adj uppers could help get more negative camber and some more positive castor if you need it. Otherwise the stock upper arms seem fine with new bushings.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
I'm about to get a set of upper and lowers. Is it worth the extra money to get the upper adjustable ones as opposed to the non-adjustables? Thanks for any advice and info.
If you're staying in factory adjustment range, the adjustable will only benefit you with more precision due to the rod end.

If you're intending to proceed toward the edge if the range, that's where the adjustables shine.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good. I seen no need in getting them. I may just refresh mine with some new bushings.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Lots of customers want to do uppers and lowers with us. I'm honest with them and tell them that if you're looking to save weight, don't do uppers. You're not going to save any weight, just spend money. If you're a road racer, get the adjustable uppers. If you're looking for more precise movement and better motion, regular ole non-adjustables are good for you!

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

So would this be everything I would need to redo the front end?

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...gs-w-o-shells/
Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Lots of customers want to do uppers and lowers with us. I'm honest with them and tell them that if you're looking to save weight, don't do uppers. You're not going to save any weight, just spend money. If you're a road racer, get the adjustable uppers. If you're looking for more precise movement and better motion, regular ole non-adjustables are good for you!

- Kevin
I thought rod ends offered the most amount of free movement? Isn't that the whole idea behind Spohn's Del-Sphere rod ends and UMI's Roto-Joint? They offer the 'quietness' of poly bushings but the movement of rod ends.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grifter
I thought rod ends offered the most amount of free movement? Isn't that the whole idea behind Spohn's Del-Sphere rod ends and UMI's Roto-Joint? They offer the 'quietness' of poly bushing but the movement of rod ends.
I believe what Kevin meant was the poly bushed arms offer better movement than factory (i.e. still an improvement at a reasonable cost).

Even if you keep the factory arm length with an adjustable, the rod end will offer the smoothest motion.

We don't offer the full Roto-Joint in our 2311 but do often build Delrin bushings to take the place of poly. This material offers the smoothest and most precise motion in a non-adjustable.

And it is true that the Roto-Joint, in applications available with it, is intended to offer the performance of a rod end with the dampening of a non-metallic bearing system.

ramey

Quick Reply: Adjustable upper A arms worth it?