Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Recommendation for cleaning rust underneath car

Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendation for cleaning rust underneath car

I am looking to clean some surface rust on the underneath of my car. I’ve read several forums and see some people have suggested different products, one of them being Simple Green (which they have a plethora of products!).

Here is a list of products other users have used/recommend.

Simple Green Products

Product 1: Simple Green Concentrated Cleaner
Product 2: Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner/Degreaser
Product 3: Extreme Simple Green
Product 4: Foaming Crystal Simple Green
Product List: Simple Green Family of Industrial Products

Gunk

Gunk product

Rust Doctor

Rustdoctor then use POR-15 to coat the underneath of my car and rear differential.

“Is a water based latex paint that allows you to paint over rusty metal and then topcoat with any kind of paint without the need to sand or grind to bare metal. This unique product chemically converts the rusty metal to black magnetite, which is a very hard form of iron oxide. Because magnetite is inert (will not react with moisture and oxygen), it creates a protective layer that keeps the metal from rusting. In addition, a latex primer is left on the surface, allowing for topcoating with any kind of paint. In one simple step, the rust is converted to magnetite and the surface is primed.)”

Extend

Extend Product

“LoctiteŽ Extend Rust Neutralizer is a fast drying, milky white latex coating that is applied to rusted metal to stop rust, protect the surface and act as a primer for the finish coat. It converts rust to a neutral surface ready for painting, creating the ability to paint over rust.”

It seems like the Rust Doctor or Extend would be the way to go. It neutralizes the rust, converts it, and prevents it from rusting again. However, I am new to this and not sure what I should do. Has anyone used any of these products? If not, what do you recommend?

Here is the underneath of my 1998 Bright Green Metallic Trans AM. The first three pictures are before I installed the SLP LM I Exhaust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommendation for cleaning rust underneath car