Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e converter questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e converter questions

I recently bought a 4l80e since I blew 3rd and 4th out of my 4l60e. At the moment, my car is BONE STOCK. But, I also picked up a lq4 to build and plumb for a twin turbo setup. I am looking to get a stall around 3200-3400 maybe a little higher depending on my turbo setup. The car will see 95% street duty. Anyways, would i be better off buying a cheaper converter until I get serious power behind it or go ahead and buy the circled multidisk converter I am wanting. Im not a transmission expert or converter expert. But, if I get one built for my power goals wouldn't it be more loose or tight on my current stock setup?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A 3400 stall is really not that high, even for a street car. I'd go ahead and buy a quality converter in the 3600 range and run it with the stock setup. That alone will really wake up your car, plus it will go well with your TT setup later down the road. And save you from buying two converters.
A converter for any power level is one of the best mods you can do for an Auto IMO.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
A 3400 stall is really not that high, even for a street car. I'd go ahead and buy a quality converter in the 3600 range and run it with the stock setup. That alone will really wake up your car, plus it will go well with your TT setup later down the road. And save you from buying two converters.
A converter for any power level is one of the best mods you can do for an Auto IMO.
Thanks for the reply. One more question, should I go bigger on the stall, ie 4000, ans restall it if it feels too big? I live about 20 miles out of town so the car will mostly see highway use. I've read mixed reviews on the 4000 stall but most come from city driving. Or should I just stick with 3600? Sorry for all the questions but I've driven mostly manual cars in the past. First time around
building an auto.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No problem, that's what these boards are for.
Hopefully an expert will step in here for you. I think your best bet is to contact one of these sponsors. They will want to know all the specifics about your setup and intended use. The best converter is one that's sized specifically for your engines power curve.
I've never ridden in a car with more than a 3600 stall to be honest. Mine will only flash to near 3500 RPMs at a Full load on the brakes. When I'm cruising around town at light throttle, it will still power the car nicely in the lower RPM's.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

With a Tt setup around 3400 should be ideal. Should still work good on your car stock for now
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like our 258mm will be a nice fit for the turbo build, something in the 3500 range is typical. And it will be just fine with your current NA setup, so you can get a good converter in now and not have to use the huge OE converter. If you want to send me an Ask Chris with all your build info, be glad to help spec one out for you.

Chris

Quick Reply: 4l80e converter questions