General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SES light came on after installing LS6 Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES light came on after installing LS6 Intake?

My SES light came on after installing an SLP LS6intake manifold but goes off and on again periodically. Car seems to run fine the only thing that i've noticed out of the ordinary other than the SES light is the exhaust makes a "popping" noise when i downshift (A4 Transmission) Ive been thinking it may be due to a leak in the EGR connection at the top of the manifold? But how would i be able to tell? Other than that plugs were installed with no problem no missfires there and exhaust has also been replaced with a Borla Cat back and Borla Y-pipe
Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

get it scanned, i'm thinking it's just a egr thing
did you get the rear O2's off? do you have catalyst's? or removed them?
all those could cause the SES light with different codes.
Scanning that will surely fix an issue if there really is one.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Got my car scanned, and the code that came up was p0420. I did a little research and this code means that there's something wrong with my catalytic converter (driver side) though to me this doesn't seem to make sense if the ses light came on after intake manifold install...
Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mvaldezss
Got my car scanned, and the code that came up was p0420. I did a little research and this code means that there's something wrong with my catalytic converter (driver side) though to me this doesn't seem to make sense if the ses light came on after intake manifold install...
P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

get it off clean it clear the code see if it comes back
it might have been a while since it was cleaned and those can really get alot of contamination in them specially oil.

what else if that doesn't work, replace it with a new one.

could be that when you downshift the popping noise that you hear is the cat hitting up which might have damaged it.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Get what cleaned, the manifold? Or should I just replace the driver side cat? Thanks for all the feedback, really hope I narrow this problem down so I can fix it quick!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

did you use new gaskets? ........intake vacuum leak?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

No I used the existing gaskets from the ls1 intake as they looked to be in good shape. Hadnt considered a vacuum leak due to them being in that shape. Though that is something ill look into. If i replace my gaskets do you think I should replace the spark plugs again too as I did so when I installed the LS6 intake the first time? Or should I not even bother with those?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Launching!

You should of replaced gaskets there pressure sealed meaning no good after use. Its a vaccum leak. Why go threw all that trouble and chance it for 20$. Dont take it wrong way but you need to pull off and replace.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Dam! yea your probably right...not taking it the wrong way at all, just trying to fix the problem and whatever suggestions/insight that lead me to the answer are welcome. Just gonna be a pain in the *** taking the intake off and replacing the gasket then re-installing...
Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Launching!

yeah man get some felpro gaskets. I went to pepboys and they had them for me the next day. The new ones will protrude about 1/4 inch. Im sure your ls1s were flat thus the vaccum leak. Easy fix. Just get some gaskets and that should do the trick . I know people who have sold there car because of the pain they are to work on. If you have big hands forget it lol. I remember my old supervisor nicknamed bannana fingers. No lie his hand was like a fist full of bannas lol
Old 02-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

lol no banana hands, but I still HATE taking off and re-installing the Intake manifold. Do you think I should replace the spark plugs again while im at it? They probably have around 40k on them. Might just pay someone to do it for me!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Launching!

lol,its cheap enough to pay someone. Its a pain in the *** getting them out. I had a lose when my headers were installed and it was ticking bad. I had to pull it out and reinstall. What a job it turned out. If they only have 40 k you should be fine for now. I just had a ls6 intake installed and I had all kinds of debris behind it was scared it was going to get in the cylinder head ports. Had to vacum out. All kinds of crap ie leaves, the helicopters from trees, and other crap. I am going to pick up my new heads tomorow. AI 243 226 cnc 63 cc . It was supposed to be a cam only project lol
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Nice! It always seems like 1 mod leaves to another! Got one last question, if I were to change my driver side cat (due to the p0420 code) should I also change the passenger side cat?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Are you planning on doing headers in future? If I were you and couldnt afford headers right now look for a used cat on the classifieds in here. There is so many cars that people part out. Fbodys are slowly dying off. I would replace the bad one with the used one. Then when your ready for headers either go wth a ory or a cated y. If you are not doing headers then I would replace both because that way the other one doesnt clog or have any issues latter on. I remember I had a frozen caliper once so I just replaced it. The other one that was good froze 2 weeks latter. Not the same thing but same concept.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Nope no headers for the future, live in CA and do not want to mess with the exhaust so much, though i do already have a Borla y-pipe and Cat back exhaust. Just put the new cat on the driver side, Hope it works!...
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

fixed the problem a couple weeks ago, it was in fact the drivers side catalytic converter as the code p0420 denoted
Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad you were able to figure out your problem. I too am pissed off right now because I installed a BBK intake manifold a few days ago and I just now got an ses light. I have to see what code it threw but I mean it seems to be running just fine. I know one thing is that if that manifold needs to come off for any reason I'm paying for it done. Not going through that hell again.

Quick Reply: SES light came on after installing LS6 Intake?