Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e LT1 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60e LT1 Issue

So my girls 93' LT1 camaro is having a funky tranny issue..

Going down the road crusing about 60 in OD you can floor it and she wont down shift. same goes with 3rd gear
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The shifts are completely controlled by the PCM. If the PCM says SHIFT, the trans will shift unless it is completely broken.
My guess is that that the PCM is not commanding a shift because of a sensor problem. Make sure your throttle sensor, speed sensor, MAP and MAF(?) are working properly. Have the PCM scanned for codes.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrvedit
The shifts are completely controlled by the PCM. If the PCM says SHIFT, the trans will shift unless it is completely broken.
My guess is that that the PCM is not commanding a shift because of a sensor problem. Make sure your throttle sensor, speed sensor, MAP and MAF(?) are working properly. Have the PCM scanned for codes.
Not entirely sure if the 93' LT1 has a maf i cant find it anywhere on the intake,

The car runs really rich, almost smells like as if it has gas running through the exhaust, i thought the EVAP was undone again but it wasnt, it just runs crappy and im slowly thinking either the person who owned it before us molested the car so bad that they either "Tuned" it and it went wrong or the PCM is failing.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:12 PM

I don't know about the MAF, but based on what you are saying, get the engine running properly and I bet the trans will then shift correctly.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know about the MAF, but based on what you are saying, get the engine running properly and I bet the trans will then shift correctly.

See the trans was runnning fine up untill about a week ago. i dont even know where to start with the motor, both head gaskets have been replaced and the only mods i have seen done so far is the fans have been cut, got to hard wire to a switch and the exhaust had the cats cut with flowmaster dumped after the axel
Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 PM

You might start by scanning the PCM for codes; usually free at big auto stores.
You didn't mention if the MIL (Check engine light) is on; if it is, correct that first.
If tuned, either the MIL was disabled, or the code was completely disabled. I suspect there are codes.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might start by scanning the PCM for codes; usually free at big auto stores.
You didn't mention if the MIL (Check engine light) is on; if it is, correct that first.
If tuned, either the MIL was disabled, or the code was completely disabled. I suspect there are codes.
I tried to have to codes read but both me and 3 other people couldnt get the codes pulled the Check Engine light is on. this car like i said was raped by the previous owner :/
Old 02-06-2013, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

A 93 is a 4l60/700r4 and if not electronically shifted. Check you tv cable is connected to the throttle body first and re-ajust it. This is done by pushing down the tab on the cable then pushing the center housing on the cable into the cable as far as it will go. Then release button tab and get in car and push throttle (car not running of course) as far as hard as you can you should hear a click sound of sorts, Then try driving it again. The 4l60e did not debut in the camaro till 1994 only trucks had it in 93

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-06-2013, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the correction!
When I saw the 4L60E in the title, I assumed that is what it was.

Quick Reply: 4L60e LT1 Issue