Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Those who use a 3 step (low/high) limiter to get spooled up quicker on converter.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those who use a 3 step (low/high) limiter to get spooled up quicker on converter.

After I tightened up my converter I have trouble getting the turbo making enough steam to get up on the converter in a reasonable amount of time. I really like this converter down track, but it's a game of give and take since it has made spooling a lot longer process. I only had one limiter so I had it set at 3700rpm and it would take about 8 seconds against the foot brake to have enough rpm/boost to get it up against the limiter. With this converter the converter starts fighting back at ~2500rpm then just slowwwly rises up to the point that it starts making an appreciable amount of boost ~3300rpm then it comes up rather quickly onto the limiter since the motor is now making power.

After talking with my buddy Brooks it became clear I really needed another limiter that I could hit more quickly in order to make some decent boost at lower rpm then activate the higher limiter when I'm ready to go.

I'm just wondering how successful this will be in practice. If I set the low limit at say 2800rpm I wonder if it'll make enough extra boost hitting on the low limiter to aide in getting it up on the converter.

I sold my MSD and bought the Lingenfelter (even though from what I have read the MSD has a better rep as far as quality), since it is a dual stage limiter (high/low). I am hoping this will actually help.

Are there any tricks once I'm on that low limiter to help build more boost (I've read about people backing the timing WAY up once on the 2 step to get it making as much boost at as little rpm as possible).
Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one on my BS3. It is at 4000 on foot brake and 5200 on the trans brake. I was able to hold my car with no issues to the 4000 foot brake limiter. We added tons of timing and playing around with the fuel down low as well to get it to come up on it real fast. I also have dual rear brakes.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
I have one on my BS3. It is at 4000 on foot brake and 5200 on the trans brake. I was able to hold my car with no issues to the 4000 foot brake limiter. We added tons of timing and playing around with the fuel down low as well to get it to come up on it real fast. I also have dual rear brakes.
my problem isn't with the brakes, it'll hold 3800rpm and 20psi, the problem is that it takes FOREVER to get the converter up to the 3300ish range where it starts to build boost. so i'm hoping having a 2 step ~2800 will allow me to build a little boost (enough to get the converter past the dead spot).
Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cubes, compression, turbo, and fuel type? Maybe some tuning and or a converter change is in order. But yes a 3 step does help in this situation along with dual rear calipers.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

370, 9.3:1, s475 1.32ar 96mm turbine, 93 octane + meth (over 10psi)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 PM
8 Second Club

Looks to me like you need the three step and a different converter. I couldnt imagine not having the three step.
With the new setup if you lock the trans brake at idle then floor the car, how long does it take to build boost?
If you floor the car footbraking, how many RPM until you cant hold it anymore?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does BS3 have the ability to pull all the timing out of it while the two step is engaged and get it to spool a whole lot higher with less rpms?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koolrayz
Looks to me like you need the three step and a different converter. I couldnt imagine not having the three step.
With the new setup if you lock the trans brake at idle then floor the car, how long does it take to build boost?
If you floor the car footbraking, how many RPM until you cant hold it anymore?
i've been leaving off the footbrake, car hasn't really ever liked leaving on the t-brake (it likes to spin on the hit when i shock the drivetrain with the tbrake). but i've got good brakes, it'll hold 3700rpm and 20psi on the footbrake, just takes a long *** time to get up there and popping on the limiter. what i'm hoping to do is use the first limiter to get some boost up at lower rpm which in turn will make enough power to get up on the converter so i can hit the higher limiter.

so like stab the brakes and have the low limiter on a momentary switch set at say 2800 (which i can footbrake to very quickly), then hopefully at that rpm i can build up enough boost against the 2 step to make enough power to get past the dead spot in the converter and up on the high limiter at 3800. basically just using the first limiter to get the motor making some HP.

the problem with these turbo converters is they have to be able to hold 1000hp but at 2800rpm and zero boost the motor is only making 200hp, if i can get the motor actually making some power at 2800rpm then i think it'd get up on the converter much quicker.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 PM
8 Second Club

First off you will never be consistant until you get the transbrake launch figured out, keep pulling power until you can hookup.
Second when you are building boost on the foot brake is the car floored, for whatever reason working the car on the three step floored is very helpfull in building boost quickly. Bumping into the lights at a lower PM on the first chip will help alot. As far as the rub between a converter loose enough on the bottom and tight enough on the top, I think I understand.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koolrayz
First off you will never be consistant until you get the transbrake launch figured out, keep pulling power until you can hookup.
Second when you are building boost on the foot brake is the car floored, for whatever reason working the car on the three step floored is very helpfull in building boost quickly. Bumping into the lights at a lower PM on the first chip will help alot. As far as the rub between a converter loose enough on the bottom and tight enough on the top, I think I understand.
car is very consistent (especially for a turbo car) on the footbrake, only made three passes on sunday and they were a 5.73, 5.735 and 5.75.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Either the converter or the tune is off, that thing should pack the boost in super quick and easy. A little 475 on a 370 would start getting lit with a stock 6l truck converter.

Maybe a camshaft change too, hard to tell you with so many variables. The three step is the only ticket to consistency and good reaction times. You will never want to go back to not having one for sure.

Last edited by hellbents10; 02-07-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Those who use a 3 step (low/high) limiter to get spooled up quicker on converter.