Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need info asap please, 4l60e gurues

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info asap please, 4l60e gurues

heres the deal i am wondering if my car came with a 4l60e or a 4l65e its a 98 pontiac trans am. and dose a 4l60e have a diffrent bellhousing than a 4l65e? i know then input shafts are diffrent but i was wonding the diffrent caritoristics of them? long story short i ordered a new built 4l6oe offline and i was under the asumption mine was a 4l60e. well it gets here and they did tell me that they were out of ls1 bellhousings at the time so i said no problem. ill just use mine. well it gets here with and has the converter with it right well i put the bell on and then seat the converter up and the converter is hitting the inside of the bell and looks to be stiting back in there awfull far in the trans and i can hear the converter rubbing the bell so i figures i had it in alil to far and when the trans goes in and i pull the vert up to the flex plate that will take up my lil clearance i need to clear converte? wrong i put trans in to just check and the damn verts 3 inches wawy from the flewplate and the bolt holes dont line up. oh well right maybe they sent me a early 4l60e say for a lt1 since there flexplates are flat where mine is concaved. well i wasnt worried about it i just ordered my a new tci from work and came in next day. i lubed the vert and install the verter in the bell this time i looked at the clearance from the bell to the pads and it was right at a 1 1/8 as recomended by tci so i was like cool. put it all together went in good and was almost right on the fleplate maybe an 1/16 away that i had to pull it up with it got bolted. not bad i dont guess, well i get it together and all fill the trans and all up with fluid . and yes did put a quart of fluid in the vert before install. cranked it up let it warm up and topeed it off anf made sure it was full and not over full and. went to pull it in gear and nothing no movement in any gear all it does is surge. rev it and no pull. no i am wondeing what the hell is wrong . no funny noises, no leakes, the shifter looks and fells like its going in gear both at the shifter and the trans. i am wondering how easy is it for when the trasn was asembled did they just miss the linkage that hooks to the valve body or is it something esle. i have racked my brain over and over . i havent pull pan yet since at the time my drain as full and it was late and didnt wana loose fluid. an any help or give me any ideas for i call them tomm.
and for the record i am an ase tech. so im pretty sure i havent missed nothing but who knows. all help will be greatly apre.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

can no one help? thought this would be a topic someone that knows trans might know thanks
Old 04-18-2004, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

did everyone take sunday off? guess ill figure it out on my own lol
Old 04-18-2004, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

no ideas?
Old 04-19-2004, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

figured it out myself thanks ls1tech.com really
Old 04-19-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

the 4L65E didn't come in f-bodies at all. it comes in late model GM trucks (escalades mostly from what i understand). I put one in my Z28 and there are only a couple of minor differences (shift linkage shaft, tailhousing).

there are 2 versions...the GMPP/Holden version comes in the GTO and was designed for performance cars equipped with the LS1 and LS6 powerplant. The other version is used on the aforementioned GM trucks.